Author Topic: "The Blue House" BRADWELL-ON-SEA in 1891 or 1901 Census  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: "The Blue House" BRADWELL-ON-SEA in 1891 or 1901 Census
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 September 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
SoftlySoftly,
Very interesting that Nora was evacuated as a teacher to Downham (Market?) in Norfolk in 1939.  Presumably with her schoolchildren from London.  I haven't yet been able to find a marriage for her, and by then she would have been in her late forties.  And haven't I seen "widow" with reference to her somewhere on this thread?  So I wonder when this Ken came into the world....
Keith

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 September 23 17:29 BST (UK) »
Do you know this person taken from 1939 war register.

Name   Ada Kershaw
Gender   Female
Marital Status   Widow
Birth Date   12 Sep 1868
Residence Date   1939
Address   Blue House Cottages
Residence Place   Maldon, Essex, England
Occupation   Independant
Line Number   10
Schedule Number   5
Sub Schedule Number   1
Enumeration District   Ddqd
Borough   Maldon
Registration district   196.1

SS

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 September 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes, there it is.  Widow.  But I notice that she still used her maiden name of Kershaw there.  Either she married someone else with the same surname, or what is one to think?  Maybe I should search for a birth of a Ken(neth) Kershaw.   Rayangel, where are you, how old did Ken appear to be in 1959, and did he perhaps give away any more interesting snippets about himself to a 10 year old's ear...?
Keith
...but the birthdate is wrong, it says 1868.  Have already been shown the correct entry for Nora Kershaw in 1939 in Downham, who indeed is this individual living at the correct address in Bradwell ?
Could it in fact be Nora's mother, maybe, Ada (née Mason).  Yes, it must be...

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 September 23 18:11 BST (UK) »
Ada Kershaw nee' Mason

Deaths Jun 1949   
Kershaw    Ada    80    Stoke N'ton    5d   

Probate

Died 6th May 1949--her address 99, Lordship Road, Stoke Newington.

Probate

John Kershaw her husband died 29th November 1933--his address 99 Lordship Road, Stoke Newington

SS

added, 1921 census

1921 Census Of England & Wales
99, Lordship Road, Stoke Newington, London & Middlesex, England

John, Ada, & Ada Norah

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 September 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
Ada Norah Kershaw appears from 1922-39 1945-52 on London Electoral registers living at 99, Lordship Road, Stoke Newington. Do not believe she had a son Ken

SS

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 17 September 23 20:07 BST (UK) »
Well, SoftlySoftly,
Perhaps when Rayangel was there as a 10 year old boy living next to Nora and being taught by someone called Ken to drive a tractor, with Nora referring to him as her son, maybe she was using a bit of poetic licence there, that he was her "adopted" son in the same way that she became Rayangel's "adopted" nanny...
Or that Ken was a son born out of wedlock.  Would love to know the truth!
Keith

Offline RayAngel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi y'all...as we say over here.  So very interesting to see the box of interests re-opened some 18 years following the last post.  Keith, I'm so happy you've re-connected to some branches of the family tree.  This has given me some stimulus to trace some of my family tree.  So I gather that Nora was my kind Nanny's first name.  I must now beg forgiveness for some false memory:  Nora, as I now know her first name, did not have a Ken nor anyone I recall living with her.  Ken was the son of our neighbor where we moved nearby some months later.  I don't know how she kept up the rather large property, it was picturesque and she was constantly tending to things.  I had a vague idea of wealth by age 10 and she did seem quite comfortable in that respect.  We did live "next door", but it was within the same building, I suppose modified along the way to allow a portion to be rented out.  To the left of Blue House was a vegetable garden that Nanny tended.  I sort of remember a small greenhouse also.  In front was the typical kept lawn and hedges.  The lawn continued to the right and around to the back of home and was beautifully kept with rose and flower gardens separated by short hedges and paths, very picturesque.  Seems her property was about 1-2 acres, unless the  vacant field behind was also hers.  I recently saw an ad for Blue House Cottage for sale, following an earlier sale in 2016.  That's too bad seeing as it had been in the same family for so long.  Perhaps Nora had no heirs interested in keeping it after she passed in 1980 (as posted earlier, although I thought a later date), so the home has changed hands a few times since then.  There's no need to knock on the door should we tour England again, as it's so very different now.  I shall visit the Kings Head, St. Thomas Church, perhaps St. Cedd's school and of course show the wife St. Peter's Chapel down on the Wall.
I am so sincerely sorry for the stir over the non-existent Ken (in this case).  Best to all, and TTFN.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 01:04 BST (UK) »
Ray,
I'm very glad you came to our rescue there!  About Ken's exact place in the village, and also with a wonderfully  clear remembered picture of both Nora and her small holding and how things looked through a ten year old's eye all those years ago.  You have also, indirectly, opened a treasure chest of new information about my Kershaw family, for which I am very grateful.  And many thanks to all those generous Rootschatters for that.  So, the Nora that you knew in 1959 must in fact have been 67 years old or so, when you thought quite innocently that she might be in her late forties.  I'm pretty sure from beyond the grave she would be tickled pink to think that was your impression of her.
One of the most evocative books I have ever read was Laurie Lee's Cider With Rosie, a young boy's remembrance of family members, growing up in rural Gloucestershire.  Not quite in the same vein here, but almost!
And I've just now discovered on another thread I started, thanks to a Rootschatter who keeps coming to my aid that Samuel Baildon in fact died from cholera in March 1914 in Calcutta...
Keith

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
Me being perdantic

Whilst she was known as Nora/Norah she was at birth/death ADA Norah.

So glad Ken was not a son, what little hair I've got was being pulled out trying to find him ;D

SS