Summary of how to order certs :
1. download the order form from the GRO website and print it out
2. fill in your address and credit card details on the form
3. on a separate sheet put the references of the certs you require, and also mention you require research certs.
4. post the order to GRO Head Office in Roscommon
Full civil registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths started in Ireland in 1864. In addition non-Catholic marriages were registered between 1845 and 1863. An online index to these is available on the Irish Civil Index
You can search the registrations for all Ireland up to 1922, and for Republic of Ireland up to 1958.
Certs are available by post
from the GRO. Download the order form from the GRO website - see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
Ignore the extra details on the form, e.g. R.S.I. number, and just enter your own name, address and credit card information, plus the following details for each cert you require :
Record Type (e.g. Birth)
* Prior to 1878 only the year is available on the index. The other details listed on the FamilySearch index (film, image no. etc) are LDS internal references, and not required by the GRO.
You can attach a separate sheet of paper with the references mentioned above. Make sure to mention that you require 'Research Certs'. Once you give the correct references, each cert should only cost €4.
A research cert, is a photocopy/scan of the original register. Certs may also be ordered and collected (up to 5 per person, per day) from the GRO research room in Dublin.(Important Note - the online HSE service mentioned on the GRO website is designed for more recent certs, and only covers restricted dates, and doesn't provide the facility to specify the BMD Index details
see the topic Tips for searching Irish BMD civil registrations
for advice on searching the index.
see this link at Connors Genealogy for a map of the registration districts
(Note : The rest of this thread is just discussion on the process described above)(26/03/2013 updated)