Author Topic: Death look up please - 1876 Thomas Hardy  (Read 1077 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Death look up please - 1876 Thomas Hardy
« on: Friday 03 October 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
I need help to find more detail on this death http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=58513160&d=bmd_1410199645
I believe he may be my Thomas Masterman Hardy (foundling baptised 1806, previous post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=600056.9 )

I have found Thomas in census records:
1861 census Thomas Hardy; age 55; where born "Not Known" with his 4th wife Elizabeth (Dunthorne); son-in-law Henry Dunthorne and wife
1871 census Thomas M. Hardy; age 66; where born "Not Known" and wife Elizabeth
1881 census Elizabeth, is a "widow", and with her son Henry Dunthorne

Any help appreciated
cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Death look up please - 1876 Thomas Hardy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

According to 2 online trees that death registration is linked to a Thomas Hardy born in 1804 in Bloomsbury to William and Jane Hardy;  however no details from the certificate are given so it could be a guess.

Another tree also quotes that death but then shows him on 1881 census in Nottingham.  ???

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nanny Jan,
Since those online trees have not provided evidence, I really can't eliminate this death from my search. How would I find more details? What information can I expect from death certificates or burial records of that time period?
Thanks for your help :)
cupoflife

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Burial records will usually show basic details;  name, age, abode and when buried; sometimes there are extra details.

A death certificate will show where & when the person died, their name & surname, sex, age, occupation, cause of death, description of the informant, when registered and the signature of the Registrar.  However the information is only as good as the knowledge of the informant!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 October 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
As Thomas married and lived in that area, I am hoping that the death details would be useful to confirm or eliminate this Thomas from my search. Hoping that the informant would be his wife Elizabeth or his son-in-law Henry Dunthorne. His residence at the time of death may also match with the census record.
Is there any way to find more details of this death online? (certificate or burial details)
I am not familiar with UK BDM records. How do I go about getting this death certificate? Where do I get the registration number for this death? What would be the approx cost? Please outline the process.
cupoflife

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 October 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No certificates are available to view on line;  they cost £9.25 and can be ordered from:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Reference details can be found on sites like FreeBMD (not complete yet), FindMyPast, Ancestry.

For burial details you would really need his date of death but there are some records on:

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Would he have left a Will?  Basic details, including date of death, are available on the National Probate Calendar on the Ancestry site.

Nanny Jan