Author Topic: is registered death where you are buried?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline hidecote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is registered death where you are buried?
« on: Wednesday 25 December 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
hi,  can anyone help me with registered deaths,  if a death is registered in Edinburgh mean the person is buried in Scotland.  I've been here before and thanks for help, but still trying to find final resting place of my uncle. He died I know on board ship berthed at New York, I have the entry from Edinburgh but what does this mean, is there a chance he was laid to rest in Scotland, have been going round in circles for several years would love a bit of a break.  Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: is registered death where you are buried?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 19:21 GMT (UK) »
A death will normally be registered where the death took place (which may or may not be where the burial took place). Deaths at sea and onboard ship are slightly different as they should be registered in the first port the ship comes to after the death. Foreign deaths of British citizens are often (but not always) registered with the local Consulate (I think Find My Past has some of these listings).

Difficult to answer the question about your uncle without more information such as a name and date. What do you mean "I have the entry from Edinburgh"? a death certificate? newspaper report? gravestone inscription?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Is this the uncle? "Gerard Menzies worked on Ocean Monarch as Steward, he died aboard ship on April 1st 1966 at Pier 93"
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=554061.msg4069372#msg4069372
Seaweed, or someone else, might be able to help but you never replied.

Ah, and another post looking for the same information- with lots of information answering your questions already there-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=553847.msg4067504#msg4067504

And more posts for the same uncle-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=213434.msg1105792#msg1105792
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=213280.msg1104675#msg1104675

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Births marriages and deaths are supposed by law to be registered in the district where they took place, and within a certain time limit.  There are certainly anomalies: my grandmother was born while the family was on summer holiday at the seaside; her father (a schoolmaster) apparently made the journey back there during the Christmas hols to register her -- and probably had to pay a fine for late registration.  Another relative was born in Wales and registered at home in Hertfordshire with a ficticious date of birth to avoid the fine.  Yet another died in Cheshire but was registered at home in Ballymena where she's buried (or at least where the memorial is).  So the answer is: it all depends ...
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline hidecote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 13 23:44 GMT (UK) »
thanks wee hugh, yeah i'll just keep searching.  I've just come in from a 13 hour shift and shattered and saw I had replies.  What I did not know is that there is a self important rootschat police dept that has trawled through my  posts.  I've been ill for some time and have not used site for a while, just thought there may be someone knew on line who could add  something.  after the 'abrupt and frankly inappropriate posts'  not you wee hugh,  but the other post, this is my last post, and the last i'll read any other posts, which I have always found to be so interesting and informative.  maybe some people ought to get a life eh.  Goodbye  regards to the decent peeps who have helped me.  signing off  hidecote

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 13 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how my posts were 'inappropriate' as I was posting links to your previous topics where some information already had been posted. Linking posts lets others know what has already been found so that they don't waste time duplicating searches for the same information.