Author Topic: MORRIS family  (Read 16728 times)

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MORRIS family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 00:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry i said northingshire..my wrong it was mottinghamshire...:)
Morris,chad,nelson,craven,roberts..wales,worksop,middlesex.

Offline Kate1792

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I am currently trying to put together my family tree. My family is from the Rotherham and Sheffield area but I only have recent members. Please let me know if you think you can help x

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 July 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
hi john,i just saw your post on the morris family of sheffield and nottinghamshire.my morris family comes from this area also.
i have henry morris b 1854 worksop
m harriet sylvester b 1853
children were tom,marion,amanda,gertrude,beatrice,henry and betsy.
beatrice and her husband ernest bailey migrated to australia in 1912 with their children and amanda who is my grandmother.
i have plenty of info on harriet sylvesters side of the family..but nothing on henrys side going back.very hard to find anything on him.
not sure if this is the same morris you have..
hope to chat soon..debbi...:)

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 July 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
gday kate
not sure if your tree is the same as mine.my morris is sheffield,nottinghamshire.i have my g grandfather henry morris who was born in worksop 1854 and passed away in sheffield.his wife harriet sylvester was born rotherham 1853,passed away in sheffield.
hopefully theres a link.
hope to hear from you..debbi...:)

Offline Zcrouch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 February 14 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbi. I came across some of your posts and noticed you were searching for information on John and Leonora Roberts. I also saw that you were interested in the Morris line as well. My dad has been researching our family tree and we are related to the Roberts and Morris line through my grandmother Marjorie who was the granddaughter of John and Eliza Catharine (Kate) Morris. Kate was John and Leonora's daughter. I'm not sure if you have found anymore info about them but perhaps you and my dad could talk and share the information you have? Zamir Crouch

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:52 GMT (UK) »
hi back zamir,great to hear from you..i just had a look at my family tree and yes we are one and the same tree..your eliza kate roberts was the sister to my great great grandfather jabez roberts who married katherine freeman.most of the family stayed in south australia but my gg grandfather jabez moved to melbourne.i havent found a lt on jabez,i only know he is buried at st kilda with his wife and grown son reginald and that he worked the rail and lived in south yarra.their daughter annie is my great grandmother and she is a hard nut to crack as well.apparently she married a craven,i cant find anything on him,found out while she was married and pregnant apparently he was married already.she gave birth to my grandfather and raised him herself with no mention of craven afterwards.whether this is a tall tale and she was unmarried to begin with i dont know but she did bring her son up as a craven roberts.i have been chasing my tail on who john and leonora my ggg"s parents are.ive hit a brick wall and have been for a long while..the morris i am chasing is a different branch..roberts being my mothers paternal side...morris being my fathers maternal side.
my amanda morris came to australia and settled in manly nsw in 1912.she came to australia with her sister an brother in law ernest and beatrice bailey.i havent found anything as yet to say more siblings came over to australia,but you never know.i have brick walls in a few places but would love to find out more on john and leonora..thankyou so much for getting in contact with me i really appreciate it....debbi.... :D

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
hi zamir again,if i may ask..where do you live?..im in griffith nsw..ps i think ive got it right as in you and i are 4th cousins....debbi...  :)

Offline Zcrouch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 February 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbi. We're definitely related, albeit distantly :)

I live in the UK but my parents are in Canberra. I don't know if we have a great deal of information on John and Leonora's parents but my dad has some info which may help. He's the one who's been compiling the information so at the very least, he'd be great to talk to. My email address is zamir.crouch@btinternet.com. If you send me an email, I'll get you in touch with dad. :)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 February 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
    My gt.grandmother was Elizabeth Morris born Carlton-in-Lindrick (Worksop district) 1st February 1841.   I must confess I have never really got stuck into finding siblings of her ancestors.
    My gt.gt.grandfather was Thomas Morris born circa 1815 and he married Alicia Hurst (Elesher in one census!).    His father was William Morris who married Elizabeth Turner at Blyth Notts, 12 December,1797.     I know little more other than that gt.grandmother Elizabeth had a cousin Ann Morris who married the big Iron founder of East Retford, Charles Hopkinson.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields