Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224592 times)

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Trying to reach all extended family everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 03 July 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Thanks for your reply, I have looked up Hohenlohe on my Gertman maps and have seen it is in the same area as where the Rothermels came from. Folker Frank has given me a great deal of information not all of it of course is on my website! I would be interested to hear from Bethgem, evidently there are still Rothermels in the Ilshofen area in the German telephone directory - we are uncertain if they are related as we haven't contacted them yet.
I would be interested in your map.
Best wishes

Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rothermelbird,

Welcome to this thread. Yes, I have had a lot of help from Histres in finding my ggf's family. Some of it is mentioned in this thread and on the thread I started, "Germany: George Green, pork butcher" link:
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,294729.0.html

I have not visited Germany myself, but it is a good possibility that I will one day soon, say within the next year or so, as I find I am thinking about the place a lot. I know I wouldn't be able to do any searches though, as Histres has done them for me, and I am most grateful.

Should you need to ask me anything then please send me a PM and we'll take it from there. It is most likely that our families knew each other back then, seeing as Histres says they lived so close. Btw, you have a good website!

Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 04 July 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Very interesting thread. My great grandfather Johann George Michael Rothermel and his two brothers came to England circa 1876 - they settled in Wellingborough Northants and ran Pork Butchers shops. One brother moved to Nottingham and later to Lancashire. We have traced the family back to 1427 in Wurttemberg with the help of the Archivist in Stuttgart. All info which we have gleaned so far is on our website, I didn't realise there were so many others out there with the same family background ! I have visited the village where they were born.

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/The_Rothermels_from_Germany.html

That is a very impressive website, I would doubt WDYTYA could better that Rothermelbird, thanks for sharing  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 04 July 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

I have been in contact with a German  academic who has done some research on the subject and has given lectures on the topic both in UK and Germany. I will look up the paperwork - there is so much of it and it goes from strength to strength _ I haven't put all on yet on the website which was supposed to be all about my maternal side eg the Birds Childs and Goldsmiths as I had no idea of my father's line and that he was of German descent so everything has snowballed. I met up with the great grandaughter of Johann George two weeks ago, she found me through the website ( our great grandfathers were brothers) She lives in Canada and was in the UK for a couple of weeks - it was so exciting! She has more information that we can put on the site.
Nice to share with others

Best wishes to all
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 04 July 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot to ask - what's WDYTYA ???
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 04 July 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Apologies...WDYTYA...the tv program that traces and broadcasts celebrities family trees..Who Do You Think You Are. Usually broadcast on the BBC and satallite channels. There is also a US version.
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sunday 04 July 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Have just discovered this thread and it is a fantastic read!

The book "German Pork Butchers in Britain" is today not available on Amazon.
However it is still possible to obtain "Germans in Sheffield 1817 - 1918" by Gerald Newton. It was published in German Life and Letters No. 46 of January 1993. (Gerald Newton is Professor of Germanic Linguistics at the University of Sheffield).

So - just google it to find it. It is un-putdownable!

Hamlets, you should be able to get the book "German Pork Butchers in Britain" from the Anglo German Family History Society ...http://www.agfhs.org.uk/

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sunday 04 July 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
The only "Who do........are" programme that was worth watching was Boris Johnson as a couple of months before it was screened the BBC had been down in Stuttgart filming the Palaces and history of the Wurttenberg Royal family. There was a media "black out" on reporting their research before the programme went out, but our German friends saw the article in the local Stuttgart paper. We got onto it straight away and did lots of research and were in personal contact with Stanley, Boris's father who was delighted at our findings! We created a web page for them just after Boris became Mayor of London !

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/Rothermel_News_Boris_Johnson.html
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 04 July 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
The only "Who do........are" programme that was worth watching was Boris Johnson as a couple of months before it was screened the BBC had been down in Stuttgart filming the Palaces and history of the Wurttenberg Royal family. There was a media "black out" on reporting their research before the programme went out, but our German friends saw the article in the local Stuttgart paper. We got onto it straight away and did lots of research and were in personal contact with Stanley, Boris's father who was delighted at our findings! We created a web page for them just after Boris became Mayor of London !

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/Rothermel_News_Boris_Johnson.html

I haven't seen the Boris Johnson WDYTYA episode as yet, but will look out for it. I can say though, episodes that have stood out and that I have enjoyed, were the Amanda Redman, Jeremy Paxman, Chris Moyles and Stephen Fry episodes  :)