Author Topic: I have lost Ellen Tubberdy/Tobin and would like some help  (Read 1814 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have lost Ellen Tubberdy/Tobin and would like some help
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 06:57 BST (UK) »
I am really hoping for some help, thoughts & ideas please.  Have picked up an old brick wall ...... and it is still a brick wall so I am trying to break it down into mini size bites.

I am looking for an Ellen Tubberdy/Tobin.  She may well have gone by both names (or variants thereof) as her mother seemed to do this.

Ellen arrived in Australia in Feb 1858 on the Stebonheath, age 20, native place Cahir, Tipperary.  She was onboard with her much younger sister, Mary Ann (I know all about her once she hits OZ) and her mother, Bridget was already in Sydney.  Mother and sister, Mary Ann, stayed, lived and died in Sydney.  Mary Ann believed her father was a John Tubberdy/Tauberdy/Tovety (mc & dc).  long complicated and, so far, unsatisfactory search, refer here for where I got to last time (if you are interested):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=641468.0

Am now trying to track down Ellen Tobin/Tauberdy/Tubberdy
Ellen is born in Ireland in about 1838
Ellen arrives in Australia in 1858
Ellen is dead (presumably in Australia) by 1875 (as listed on her mother's dc, informant was younger daughter/sister, Mary Ann).

I can't find a marriage for Ellen Tubberdy/Tauberdy/etc and a corresponding death (ie death of an Ellen with married surname)

If Ellen was going by the surname of Tobin I have only found 2 possible marriages in NSW to a Murphy and a Dobkins. But cannot find corresponding death with married surname prior to 1875.

I cannot find a death of an Ellen Tubberdy/Tauberdy (and any other variations I can think of).

I can find a death of an Ellen Tobin in 1866 who may or may not be the one.  Death index in NSW lists parents as Patrick and Bridget .... no other details (an age would be ideal!!!! or even a clue as to whether this is an Ellen Doohickey who married a Mr Tobin).  Do I bite the bullet and order a transcript?

I've searched in other states (SA & VIC) but haven't been able to find a candidate.  Have spent hours on trove looking for Ellen. 

Am glum and would appreciate your thoughts and any other avenues to look in Oz
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: I have lost Ellen Tubberdy/Tobin and would like some help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:14 BST (UK) »
Funeral Notice 1866 - John Tobin invites friends to attend funeral of his wife Ellen

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13145569

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Rosball
Thanks for that ..... probably puts that possibility to bed although I will check all marriages of a John Tobin between 1858-1866 - just in the tiny wee case he married the Ellen I am trying to hunt down (and her name was mistranscribed).

You are a whizz!
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Stubberdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Sally Tubberdy and I am married to Peter Tubberdy, who we believe is the last living male Tubberdy in the world. I have been researching the Tubberdy family for several years and I realised some female Tubberds went to Australia in the 1800's but I have struggled to find out what happened to them. I would be really interested to find out what your connection is and what you know about what happened to them. I am happy to share what happened to the family in Ireland/England in exchange. I look forward to hearing what you know.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally
Any info on Tubberdy/Tuberdy/Tauberdy make make a chink in my brick wall.  I'm not able to access my FH database at the moment so am about to spout a fair bit of info at you from memory. You need to make 2 more posts before I can PM you and we can exchange info.
In summary, my direct ancestor Bridget Tobin allegedly married a John Tubberdy before leaving Tipperary for New South Wales in the 1840s. No sign of this John Tubberdy on the boat or in Australia. I believe she had a sister Mary Tobin who had headed to OZ earlier, Mary subsequently married a Wilson bloke in Balmain. I also believe that Bridget had a sister, Joannah Tobin who married an Edwin (or Edmond) Tarpy in Tipperary.
Bridget and John Tubberdy (married or not or maybe John was fictional) had 2 daughters, Ellen and Mary Anne Tauberdy/Tubberdy, both headed to Australia in 1856 to meet up with their mother. Ellen was 10 years older than Mary Anne (b. Abt 1846). I have tracked Ellen, who she married etc. Mary Anne is my direct ancestor and I have heaps of info on these Tubberdy girls once they hit OZ (have same for their mother) but cannot track them in Cahir, Tipperary or surrounds.
So, if you have a stray John Tubberdy in or around Cahir, Tipperary who procreates with a Bridget Tobin and has at least 2 daughters in 1830s and 1840s, and John is dead by 1856 (as noted on daughters immigration info) then I would be forever grateful and hysterical with excitement.
Jenny

Offline Stubberdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

I have a mound of information about our Tubberdy's after they left Ireland in the 1840/50's, probably as a result of the potato famine. They originate in Tipperary and district and some years ago we visited Ireland and spent some time researching the family and found the piece of land that the family had farmed up until the 1911 Census and possibly beyond - very surreal experience! I have come across Bridget, Ellen and Mary Ann but have never been able to make a direct connection. As the name is pretty unusual my guess is that they are related but there seems to be no written evidence to link them. The Irish Catholic church is slowly releasing more data so perhaps something will come out of that in the future. I will go back to my research papers from that time and see if I can find anything that I might have missed previously.

Sally

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Sally
If you make one more post then I can PM you and we can exchange emails and share info/data/documents - hopefully make a link! I will be back with my database this weekend! I am excited!
Jenny

Offline Stubberdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Jenny
It's getting quite late here now in the UK so I'll dig out my records tomorrow and let you know if I find anything.
Sally