Author Topic: Hanna orphan mystery  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Hanna orphan mystery
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Surely if Rose Ann Hannah/ Houghton/O'Reilly was 52 when she died in 1952 that would mean a year of birth circa 1900 - which would mean she was too young to be a mother (in fact born around the same time as her son William) and not born when she first married. Think that must be an error - either that or she had good bone structure and lied about her age  ;D

EDITED...........Death date was 1932................NOT 1852 (Sorry for TYPO)  :-[
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Surely if Rose Ann Hannah/ Houghton/O'Reilly was 52 when she died in 1952 that would mean a year of birth circa 1900 - which would mean she was too young to be a mother (in fact born around the same time as her son William) and not born when she first married. Think that must be an error - either that or she had good bone structure and lied about her age  ;D

I hadn't had time to dissect this but I would say this is definitely not the mother of David  :(

Annie

Not necessarily....KitHannay has the date of death as 25th April 1932,  that would give a year of birth for Rose Ann Hannah /Houghton/ O'Reilly of 1880 if she were 52 at time of death.

However as of yet there is nothing to link this woman with being David Hanna's mother other than her name. This Rose Ann Hannah was born in Glasgow. Why would she be in Belfast in 1908 to leave a 3 year old boy?  As yet there is no connection to Anderston district of Glasgow either.

Naturally there is no harm (other than expense  ::) ) of trying to find her in 1911, trying to find what happened to husband no 1 William Houghton and what happened to her son William and daughter Catherine. 

I think your biggest clue is the Richard Street address. Of course, Rose Ann may not have lived there for long....people did move about....and looking at the 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls at the tenants of Richard Street I would say there are a lot of Irish names.  This would make me suspect that your Rose Ann  Hannah is an Irish born girl who left Ireland for Scotland , probably for work.
All suppositon  ;D 
I think the Rose A MacManus (who I mentioned on your Scottish thread) who is a tenant at 104 Richard Street in 1915 needs to be researched further too. Could be a co-incidence that a woman with the forename Rose middle initial A is living at the address , as I said it is a tenement with several tenants......

Looby :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Surely if Rose Ann Hannah/ Houghton/O'Reilly was 52 when she died in 1952 that would mean a year of birth circa 1900
I hadn't had time to dissect this but I would say this is definitely not the mother of David  :(
Not necessarily....KitHannay has the date of death as 25th April 1932

Looks as though there's been a TYPO by none other than myself.............was in a hurry  ::)

Sorry folks..........Death date 1932 !!!

Annie

P.S. Will edit so as not to cause any further confusion  :-[

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Rose Ann Hannah married to 1st William Houghton (Dock Labourer), 2nd John O'Reilly (Bricklayers Labourer)
died 25 Apr 1932 at 54 George St, Glasgow (usual residence 6 Balmono St, Glasgow), recorded in Blythswood District.
Parents George Hannah (Dock Labourer) Deceased & Catherine Kerr Deceased
Informant was John O'Reilly (Widower)
Age at death 52 yrs (so born 1880)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,

Depending on the writing the name Cavannagh may have been transcribed wrong as Hanna/h ???

This is worth looking at for less than £1.50  ;D

1913   CAVANAGH PATRICK   MCMANUS ROSE ANN   ANDERSTON   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/11 0352

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile