Author Topic: Look up  (Read 3528 times)

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone can help, I'm trying to trace an uncle who  emigrated to Australia and have not got much to go on. I know he established a sheep farm over there.

He was born in Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, South Wales Circa 1898/1899. I have him on the 1911 census living with the  family (Thomas Williams, father) at Coity House near Forge Side, Blaenavon aged 12.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks

Ken

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Please, could you post the name of your person of interest, and perhaps answer some questions about him.

a) his mum's given and nee names if possible
b) how you know he established a sheep farm in Australia
c) do you know which state in Australia for this sheep farm, if so, which one
d) do you know if he married, if so, any name for his wife and/or did he have children (do not name them, as they are likely to be alive) just let us know if you know that he had children.
e) did he come to Australia before or after World War I  (so as a child, or as an adult)

These clues can help us to help you find the son of Thomas WILLIAMS, but most importantly, please let us know all of the names of your uncle :) .

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim, thank you very much for your response.

Firstly it was my father's uncle  and therefore my great Uncle,

What I do have
His name was Jonah Williams.

I do not have his mothers maiden name  but her Christian name was Alice and the 1911 census shows to be aged 49.

With regard to them being Sheep farmers it is a story that my father passed down to me. He once told me that 2 Uncles emigrated to Australia and that they had tried to persuade his father to emigrate with them but my grandfather refused. I have no idea which state they settled in, as I've mentioned I have very little to go on.

They both married and I believe there are descendants but unfortunately no names.

I believe they came after the first World War as adults.. Sorry not much to go on and with the surname of Williams nigh in possible. I just hoping that not many Jonah's emigrated from Wales.

Your imput though much appreciated.  Needle in the haystack, maybe

Thanks mate

Ken

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  What is the brothers' name please?

Leanne

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Long shot ...

Enlistment in WW1 for David Thomas WILLIAMS Place of Birth South Wales, father Jonah Ewart WILLIAMS

enlisted perth, WA
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1806376

regards
   Ros

adding : Whoops yes Jonah too young to be father of man enlisting in WW1  :( Sorry Ken
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your info.   There's six states, each with their own BDM institutions, most of them have their historic BDM indexes on line, and most death indexes include the deceased's recorded parents names....  So you are giving us some clues to work with now.

Yes, as Leanne wrote .... name for that brother too please... 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see a Jonah WILLIAMS as a passenger on the NAA website's passenger index.   

(This is an ongoing project, and lists passenger arrivals at Fremantle WA, often the first port of call on mainland Australia in the period from 1921).... 

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Scripts/PassengerSearch.asp

So that's one index checked.  There's other indexes to check, but I am out of time today.  Sorry.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I really do appreciate all of your replies, this is much appreciated
Best

Ken

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 15 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Another Jonah WILLIAMS to eliminate - he was a dairy farmer in NSW but his obit indicates he was born in 1862 in Jaspers Brush.  He died in 1950.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110013533

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland