Author Topic: fabricated family trees  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: fabricated family trees
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
孔夫子

xin

copy and paste the symbols into google and you will find - it basically means :

Confuscious...  ;D ;D ;D   a common saying in this house is
'confuscious reigns'

xin

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
thanks for those answers & just to expand the issue a tad: the occurance of this is very recent and quite deliberate. Indeed one of the culprits claims considerable experience at research and wot-not and is I suspect a vested member of a well established society - not this one or any connected with it - the other individual appears to have 'bought' the scam and thus is actively involved.
A simple cease and desist order will not suffice, I'm guessing - so any thoughts on possible remedies will be thoughtfully contemplated...
rodc

Like others, I'm struggling to work out exactly what the problem is, though it may be that rodc's answers to earlier questions may help with this.

My understanding so far is that by his/her own account, rodc has very little information about the person who has been "foisted" on to another tree, but is concerned about someone who claims to know more than rodc does.

Surely one of the first things to do is to query the source of the information. If the researcher can substantiate the connection he/she has made, then it may well break down one of rodc's brickwalls. If they can't, then the course of action may depend on what they intend to do with the information. If it's just a vanity project, like so many online trees, you may have to let it go, but if it's in order to claim an inheritance or similar, there might be a cause for greater concern. The best you can say, though, is that the connection they claim is "supposed" or "unproven"; with your own lack of information, can you actually disprove it?

The possible link to a society may be worth bearing in mind: if it can be demonstrated that the researcher has falsified his/her results, then any society in whose name he claims to act may be interested to hear about it; or, if appropriate, a relevant professional body such as AGRA - The Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives. However, as above, it may come down to what can and can't be proved.

Might it actually turn out to be the case that the researcher produced something appropriately cautious, with the alleged connection as one of a range of possibilities, which the other person (only) has then seized upon and treated as absolute truth? Again, this would point to the necessity of finding out exactly what the researcher said, and why.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I know someone who extended back from my tree to another family which links into stuart and tudor kings etc and back up the line by using trees on the net which can be found by trailing through names and pedigrees. The link hinged around a john being a son of another john and no baptism etc found.I've also had updates since of which i have to say, laughed at. Pointed out that there is illegitimacy in some of the lines. Also the person has linked into the present day royal family into his and a well known genealogist was the latest addition! Unfortunately this person who has done this work of fiction does link into my tree as well. I had to mention my concerns on this to a third party as i did n't want it going into a particular database. Also it would have been portryed as the person own work and those connections would be taken as legit by a lot of people.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
My wifes, under her maiden name is one of the Seys. I wonder if "Confuscious" was a direct or indirect relation?

Regards

Malky

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 March 15 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Of course, our OP could provide the names of this disappearing chap, and the era, and we could strive to help advance the research ....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=677544.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716243.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=678266.0

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 March 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Let me get this straight , and I don't wish to confuse the matter further, but I am sure I will. The basis of the matter seems to be the following:

If I pay SOG* member Joe Bloggs* ( from SOG*) $800 to trace my paternal line back as far as he can go , and he hands me a wonderfully produced manuscript with  bells and whistles , apart from certs, that say categorically I am related to Jesus Christ ( see IGI  ::) ) and I start getting a bit sceptical , and do some of my own checking and find out it was actually Jeshua Christo , and he copied and pasted Mary Margagdalenes tree onto mine ,  can I legally sue to reclaim my $800 ?

I would hope so

*SOG and Joe Bloggs are attached no dishonest practices
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 March 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Having read the attached posts showing more details of the search I can throw a bit more light on what sometimes happens. My husband's father was born to his mother at the age of 16. She left home and moved to another country (England). She married Mr X five years later and her son was brought up with the same surname as his half brothers and sisters. He never knew of any other surname until the morning of his own marriage when his mother enlightened him of his true surname and circumstances of his birth.
The surname X continues to be used and as far as I am concerned I am Mrs X. There would be no legal claim on any estate from Mr X family past as we are not related  and as we don't know the name of the postman who did the dirty deed the rest as they say is history!!!

Family history has many twists and turns and it's all gets mixed up over the years. I have a line with all the children born in a marriage with the Middle name being that of the lodge who she later marries when her husband dies.

Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Reading the rules of inheritance, I would question what you have written. I do not think that it's that easily described, as certain circumstances will influence the status and outcome.

Regards

Malky

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Let me get this straight , and I don't wish to confuse the matter further, but I am sure I will. The basis of the matter seems to be the following:

If I pay SOG* member Joe Bloggs* ( from SOG*) $800 to trace my paternal line back as far as he can go , and he hands me a wonderfully produced manuscript with  bells and whistles , apart from certs, that say categorically I am related to Jesus Christ ( see IGI  ::) ) and I start getting a bit sceptical , and do some of my own checking and find out it was actually Jeshua Christo , and he copied and pasted Mary Margagdalenes tree onto mine ,  can I legally sue to reclaim my $800 ?

I would hope so

*SOG and Joe Bloggs are attached no dishonest practices

That would depend on your contract with the researcher.
If you contract was to pay for the time he spent on research probably not.
If your contract was to produce an accurate tree as far back as he could probably yes.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.