Author Topic: Birth in Moate, WESTMEATH c August 1819  (Read 3154 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Birth in Moate, WESTMEATH c August 1819
« on: Tuesday 19 May 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
For some years now I have been trying to trace a birth Record for my great great grandfather, JOHN GIBBONS MATHEWS, the son of HENRY Maxwell MATHEWS and Sarah Annie m/s unknown. Also a birth record for his wife Mary Jane Fleming, daughter of David Fleming - mother unknown, born  Portarlington, County Laois, c1818 (from Census info).

All the census entries I have for John show his birthplace as Newry, IRELAND, and his age shown calculates out around c1818.

John was in the 12th Royal Lancers at the time of his 1845 Dublin Marriage to Mary Jane Fleming, daughter of David Fleming, and after recently receiving a reply to my email, I have had some new information from Derby Library, who hold some abstract information re John Gibbons Mathews. 

However, his name and place of birth in the limited record they hold, is listed as JONATHAN G. MATTHEWS, b Moate, WESTMEATH.  He was aged 21 yrs 2 months at the date of enlistment, which was October, 1822.

Also, gives marriage detail which confirms what I already had, and it names his wife, Mary Jane Fleming, two of his children that were born at Hounslow Barracks, one of those being my greatgrandfather, HENRY MAXWELL DAVID MATHEWS - all are records I also already have.  So these extracts from the holdings at Derby Museum confirm that this is indeed my great great grandfather, but with variations in his name and birth place..

There was also more info regarding enlistment date and discharge date, and promotions throughout his career in the 12th Lancers.

I have been advised by Derby that his full military service record is held in the Archives at Kew, and gave me an email address to write to.  I haven't had a reply from that yet!

With a totally different location for his birth, and a variation in his name, I am hoping that someone on this forum and some fresh eyes and location change, will be able to assist me in a new search for his birth, which census info has as Newry, but this latest info states it to be Moate WESTMEATH.

I also have a Scavenger Hunt going at present, which has more detail about my Irish Mathews family,which may be helpful!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717638.0

Thank you for your interest.
Jeanne 😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Moate, WESTMEATH c August 1819
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 01:19 BST (UK) »
You have posted in Meath not Westmeath so you may want to ask a mod to move this.
This family is COI yes?
It doesn't look like there are birth or marriage records that early for Moate but there are deaths.
http://westmeath.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
RootsIreland is pay to view.

To the memory of William Mathews and John
Maxwell Mathews this stone is erected, 1813.
This tiny snippet may be of interest, found here
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/westmeath/cemeteries/athlone-page170-173.txt

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Moate, WESTMEATH c August 1819
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
Sinann - Thank you for your advice re being in the wrong County! Oops!  I will ask for this topic to be moved to WESTMEATH, much appreciated.

Yes, it is a Church of Ireland family, the marriage was COI, and Chn all baptised Anglican in England.  The only question there is if John's wife Mary Jane Fleming, was a Catholic. But I have nothing to ascertain that either way, and have no more info on her family, other than her father's name David Fleming, and that she was born in Portarlington, (unfortunately no mother named on marriage record for her either).

I'll get this moved, and check on those links you have given.

Many thanks!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections