Author Topic: South Australian Criminal Records  (Read 14181 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Criminal Records
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 30 January 16 07:30 GMT (UK) »
You don't know for sure that your Caroline was married already; you need a transcription of the Wilshire marriage to be sure, and/or the birth of Sydney in 1862.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 January 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I have her marriage certificate to Horace Audley Wilshire in 1882 and she is listed as Mutton. They then had a son who was left in the Benevolent society by the name of Horace Arthur Wilshire also born in 1882.  Then NSW police gazette lists her as missing and abandoning her child in 1882.... She then turns up in SA

I also have her b/c in 1861 listing John Mutton/ Margaret Storey as parents..... I also have the birth of the female stillborn in 1862 to the McPhillamy family.......
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Nawell- Australia and beyond
Knight- Limerick to Australia
Stuart- Scotland to Australia
Aitken- Scotland to Australia
Driscoll
Fitzpatrick - County Cork to Australia
Crooks-Australia
Gruen or Green- Austria to Australia

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 January 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Does the marriage certificate to Wilshire show a father's name?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 January 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
There were 4 children born to William Carver and Caroline Muttton as follows:

1884: Frederick Byron ( grand dad)
1884: Frederick William .... death 1884 reg no 134/26
My guess is they were twins maybe

Frederick W was born 25 Jan (318/141), lived for 8 hours
Frederick B was born 11 Dec (340/240)
The moral of the story is, don't guess ;)
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
An interesting sidelight. It seems she acknowledged her son by Carver under her Marval name

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article213253936

Under ''King and Country ''

-CARVER.—Killed in action, Sydney Waldegrave Carver, second beloved son of Madame A. E. Marval, aged 30 years; enlisted from Queensland, born in South Australia..
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for 31.10.1905 FindMyPast state the father of Caroline Emma MItton McphillaNy is John McPhillaMy

Note Mitton for Mutton and McPhillany for McPhillamy. Possibly transcription error ..or not :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 January 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I am usually a person who does not give up easily and like a dog with a bone, I search and collect documents everywhere in my quest for my heritage.  However this one has got me big time and I think I may as well put it all to rest forever and never be sure of my heritage here.....Like you all have found Mutton and McPhillamy are on lots of documents regarding Caroline.  And yes, i noted that when her son Sydney Waldegrave Carver was killed in the WW1 she put notice in paper under the name Marval ( but she was legally married to Marval then)  Another interesting thing here is there are NO service records in Australia for Sydney Waldegrave Carver ( another dead end and another story)
I can only go by FACTS I have. She was born Mutton, married Willshire, deserted him and child, left for SA and had 4 children to someone who was already married yet children are all named after him, got married again in 1905 to Marval ... went to prison in 1940 and died in 1941 under Marval.....Why in hell she refers to the name McPhillamy is beyond me for now and maybe forever it seems .......thank you all for listening to my venting, I am sure you will understand the frustration that comes with research that sends you every which way.....
I will send the documents I have to the SA Archives and see how they go, if they want the connection to McPhillamy on top of what I have .......I don't know but give up this line of research for good not knowing
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Nawell- Australia and beyond
Knight- Limerick to Australia
Stuart- Scotland to Australia
Aitken- Scotland to Australia
Driscoll
Fitzpatrick - County Cork to Australia
Crooks-Australia
Gruen or Green- Austria to Australia

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 January 16 10:05 GMT (UK) »

I will send the documents I have to the SA Archives and see how they go, if they want the connection to McPhillamy on top of what I have .......I don't know but give up this line of research for good not knowing

Before sending documents to the SA Archives you should confirm that they have the prison records you are interested in, if they have, and there is restricted access, then ask them who to apply to for access. You may have to apply to the relevant Government Dept. responsible for the records rather than the Archive itself

Andy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 January 16 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Andy is giving excellent advice  :)

I am probably becoming confuddled, or perhaps pedantic ... but some things are not quite stacking up, and it may be important to seek accuracy to actually gain access to any restricted documents... so may I pop some confuddlements here with some suggestions too.

Can anyone advice me how to get access to criminal records in SA.. My great great grandmother died in prison in 1941 in South Australia and I have tried various agencies in SA to gain access to her prison records... to no help from any agency other than ...." we don't keep prison records" Who does? and how to access them?

She actually did not die in prison.  She was transferred from Adelaide Gaol to the hospital.   Would there be hospital records worth chasing up?

Earlier but still current Thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=589162.0

Thank you all for your searches on my behalf..  I have her marriage to Adolphe that lists her surname as McPhillamy.  However I have exhausted all Trove searches for her link with the McPhilliamy family.  Does not exist and NSW BDM lists only Caroline Emma Mutton born 1861.  There is a McPhillamy female child born in 1860 or 1861 ( going by memory) but that is stillborn so not her.

My grandfather and his brothers were all christened and named Carver ( but she never married him)
Frederick Byron Carver was my grandfather born in SA 1884

I have been told by SA Authorities that if I can provide the trail from me to her, then I can have access to the records..........Its the McPhillamy? part of the trail I don't know what to do with ??

Re the stillborn birth in NSW ...

do you have the NSW BDM civil registration for that?  Is it ref # 3046/1860 ... Was the date 2 October 1860? 
what info is on that document ... perhaps you could type it up?
who was the informant providing the info, and what relationship is noted on that document?
and
Do you have the birth cert # 4961, also 2 Oct 1860, also McPhillamy ... who was the informant, what relationship is noted on that document?

It is just that these two documents have slightly different info displayed at NSW BDM online index.   The wee baby's mum is "Mary" on the death registration index and "Maria S" on the birth registration index.   Perhaps technically suggesting two different children....   I find it unusual for the 1860s for a still birth to be included in the birth registrations, but perhaps as civil registration was so new, perhaps the Deputy Registrar at Bathurst did not have clear guidelines to follow. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/92403592  Chronicle 23 Jan 1941
Inquest on Madame Marval.

Caroline Emma MARVAL, widowed
Died 7 Jan 1941, aged 79 years,
Of Norwood, Adelaide
Notes Person died in an institution  ie hospital,nursing facility or religious community
Deceased Husband Adolph Emille MARVAL
Registration no. 632/297

Re your Grandfather.  You write that the name McPhillamy is on his Death Certificate, as being his Mum’s name.  Is McPhillamy on any other document for your Grandfather, or for any of his siblings?  From your Grandfather's marriage certificate, what information did he provide about his mother at that time?  To me, that would be a more reliable document than his death certificate.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.