Author Topic: Birth, Marriage and Death in Queenstown  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Harriet Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth, Marriage and Death in Queenstown
« on: Wednesday 24 August 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for records in the Queenstown area, but to no avail. Can anyone suggest where I should look.
I am looking for the death certificate for John Hepburn and his wife Isabella Rennie Hepburn 13 Apr 1874, the birth of their daughter shortly before their deaths, and their marriage which would be around 1871-2. Any help would be greatly apprciated

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Birth, Marriage and Death in Queenstown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
HI
The death Notices are
MOOC   6/9/147   411   HEPBURN, JOHN MCGILL. DEATH NOTICE.   1874   1874
MOOC   6/9/147   412   HEPBURN, ISABELLA. (NEE RENNIE). DEATH NOTICE.   1874   1874
You can find these at
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-MQ9X-1?i=1513&cat=331262 page forward for the 2nd notice

Unfortunatelly the Anglican records for Queenstown are not on the LDS site you could approach the Wits Library as they hold all the records but you may need to engage a researcher.
I note the daughter is unnamed on their death notices so not sure what would have happened to her
Regards

Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Harriet Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
Wow. Amazing. That is them. The little girl was my grandmother. Thank you so much. I am not sure how they died but they were together at the time. My great grandmother was given a number of names including McGibbon. I belielve she was bought up by other family members. Thanks again. So helpful

Offline Harriet Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am intrigued as to how you found the information. I have tried for years but I was obviously looking in the wrong place. As a number of the family died in Queenstown as well, how would I go about finding out the information i need.
Regards
Harriet

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 16 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I searched the NAAIRS Databases - you can follow one of the sticky topics for how  to do that. If you find a MOOC 6/9 series reference a large number of these files are published on familysearch.org - l posted a topic re accessing them Cape Death Notices - 1834 onwards online http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742221.0

Cheers
Gillian

Offline Harriet Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the death of Mary Rennie (bn McGibbon) she was the first wife of Francis Rennie and according to his death notice she died in or around 1863. He went on to marry another mary who I have found with a death notice. But the first Mary I can find nothing whatsoever. I believe she was born in Scotland but as I don't know who her parents were, it is not easy! The family were based in the Queenstown area at the time of her death. Her daughter Isabella died in 1874 but there was nothing written against her mothers name to imply she was deceased on Isabellas death notice. Can anybody help. It appears that the records or not available due to where they are being kept (Mould problems)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunatelly in 1863 unless she left an estate there will not be a record in the archives.
There appears to be no Death Notice in the indexes
You could try looking at the McGibbon death Notices to see if she turns up as a child
Regards
Gillian