Author Topic: Family tree expert needed  (Read 873 times)

Offline zoe freel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family tree expert needed
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, for my mothers bday i was hoping to pay for someone to look further into my family tree for her, just to dig up anyone else i could not find. I am from Northern Ireland and know one line goes into scotland. Just was  hoping that I could find someone that would be able to do it. Googled it but so far the only suitable one ive seen isnt getting back to me. Any help in the right direction would be brilliant thanks.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree expert needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
I think before you hire anyone, you need to be very specific as to what you want them to do, especially if you have already done some research. Otherwise it could end up very expensive and they may just present you with information you have already.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Why pay when there are so many lovely people here willing to help you,
or are you looking for an unidentified ancestor
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe,

If I'm being honest, hiring an 'expert' or 'professional' is extreme & is probably only feasible where records you need have to be looked up in person but sometimes people on here are willing to help in that way.

I would suggest you post the info. you have here relating to the people who moved to Scotland (providing they are likely to be deceased).

Names (including middle names) of all who you know came to Scotland
Birth dates
Where born (this helps for census') as sometimes place names are mentioned not just Ireland
Occupations
Parents names with mother's maiden name
Possible place name of where they were in Scotland if known?
If place is known but spelling not known, post (soundex) & we can try & work out where it is?
When they moved or at least possibly when?
Anything you know about their time in Scotland.

There are many good researchers on here, all willing to help & where records are required from the government site & available, help is at hand to guide you with use of scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is a pay-per-view site at very reasonable cost via credits.

If you are unfamiliar with the site there are many who can look up possible info. from the free index & other means for you.

It may be worth joining (which is free) to acquaint yourself with the site as you only pay for downloads but you can find names/addresses/wills for potentials all free on the indexes.

Married woman are recorded on death with both marital & maiden surnames which is a huge bonus (providing the informant knew the details) as with any death & another bonus is both parents are named on any Scottish marriage or death too (if known by informant).

Look forward to you posting the details  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at your previous posts I wonder if it is the family of James Robb that you are interested in? Some of us have already done some work on this and I'm sure more could be found.
Isobel

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=683046.0
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)