Author Topic: -Glen- Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 17994 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
-Glen- Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt, it's over two posts as Glen included everything he knows on his Great Grandmother.   So please read both before starting.   It looks like it will be a good Hunt.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

My Great-Grandmother was known as 'Nanny Dinah' / 'Nanny Diana' by her descendants / by my branch of the family and known as 'Big Aunt Doll' by her in-laws.

She's a mystery for the first 25/26 yrs of her life!

She passed away 18 January 1966 in Stoke Newington, London. She's recorded aged 73 on her death record. Her birthday was always celebrated 27 September, so this would mean she was born in 1892. However we can not find a birth record for her. Also, if you go by the age on her marriage record then she was 74 at time of death and not 73. We can't find any birth record in 1891 though either. She didn’t leave a will, so I don’t have that option to research.

My Great-Grandparents had 6 children:

Dorothy Jean Naomi Kathleen STAPLES (my Grandmother) b1934

Cecil John STAPLES b1929 and d1975

Alexander Walter STAPLES b1926 and d1927

Louis Edward John Ernest STAPLES b1921 and d1977

Ronald George Comerford Victor STAPLES b1920 and d2003

Walter Edward John Ernest STAPLES b and d1918

On the 5 youngest children’s birth certs, Nanny Dinah appears as ‘Dorothy STAPLES formerly LANGLEY’. However, in 1918 she strangely appears as ‘Dorothy STAPLES formerly SHEPHERD’ on son Walter’s birth and death certs.

Dinah's recorded as the informant on all of the certs.

Something else that’s strange is the marriage cert. My Grandmother was always under the impression that her parents were married in a church and before any of the children was born. However, we’ve discovered that she didn’t marry my Great-Grandfather ‘Walter Edward John Ernest STAPLES’ until 10 Oct 1929! This is 11 years after their first child was born and she would’ve been seven months pregnant with Cecil at the time.

Their home address on the marriage certificate appears to be false. They were living at Cressington Road in Stoke Newington at the time, but recorded their address as Allen Road, Stoke Newington. We don’t know why.

In 1927, when Alexander’s death was registered, the correct address appears (Cressington Road). The correct address also appears in Dec 1929 (two months after the wedding), on Cecil’s birth cert.

The fact they were married in a Registry Office was a surprise to the family. They married in Islington Register Office and not the local one, but I don’t know if this adds to the mystery or if it was normal not to marry in the nearest Registry Office to you?

Dinah's recorded as ‘Dorothy LANGLEY’ on the marriage cert. Her father is recorded as ‘William LANGLEY’, a General Labourer and as deceased. In a family that had five sons, used names from previous generations and gave up to four names to a child, I’m surprised the name ‘William’ was not used. (Basically I’m not convinced this is the true name of her Father!)

The name ‘William LANGLEY’ has also not helped find her in the census records.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Re: -Glen- Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
CONTINUED

My Grandmother remembers being told that her Mother grew up with an Aunt in Blue Bell Hill, Kent, England. I don't know if this is 'code' for growing up in a children's home??

We don’t know when Dinah moved from Kent to London.

We do have a bunch of old photos, which belonged to Dinah. Unfortunately we don’t know who any of the people are though. We do recognise Dinah in a couple of them. One as a teenager and one as a small girl (perhaps aged three or four). There’s nothing written on any of the photos. The only clue from the photos, is the name of the photographer on the front of the one where she is a small child (taken approx. 1895). Printed on the front is ‘Lewis & C’ and ‘6 Sandling Road, Maidstone’. (I’ve checked Google Maps and Blue Bell Hill village is very close to Maidstone).

I’ve had the photos dated and they are from the period c1890–c1915, which is exactly the period we know nothing about Nanny Dinah!

The most recent of the photos was dated c1915 and Nanny Dinah is wearing a ‘Munitionette’ uniform. None of the family knew that she had worked in a Munitions factory. An expert from the War Museum spotted me carrying the photo and asked to see it! Otherwise, we would never have known she was wearing a uniform of some sort or indeed that she worked in a Munitions factory!

My Mum has spotted that Dinah is wearing a wedding band ring in this photo. We don’t know if she was engaged to Walter at this point or if she was engaged / married to someone else? Perhaps this explains the use of the two maiden names? Although we can’t find any other marriage record for Dinah and she is recorded as a Spinster on her marriage cert in 1929.

Just this month, I’ve obtained the data from the 1939 WW2 National Registration. Nanny Dinah’s recorded as Dorothy STAPLES, born 27 September 1891. This is the first and only document that we have, which provides us with her date-of-birth. It does match my Grandmother’s memory though, because she remembers that Dinah’s birthday was always celebrated on 27 Sep. Of course, the year-of-birth is only the year that Dinah claimed to be her year-of-birth! It does match the age on the marriage cert, 10 years earlier.

I can’t find any birth record for her, or find her in the 1901 or 1911 census records.

I’ve ordered several birth certs from around 1891, but no matches with a date of birth of 27 September. I’ve also found a Dorothy SHEPHERD in the Maidstone area, living with an Aunt, but I’ve traced her to the USA and it’s not my Great-Grandmother.

I have found a Dorothy SHEPHERD, working in the bar of a hotel in the Woolwich area, in the 1911 census. It’s a longshot, but perhaps this is her and perhaps it was the nearby Royal Woolwich that she got a job in, a few years later?

Through her married life, she sold groceries from the front room of her house and then in later life, she worked in the cloakroom of ‘Mozart House’, Albion Road, Hackney.

Help please 

Many thanks in advance, Glen.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
bookmarking but not around much this week
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if Walter served in WW1 and whether his service/pension papers exist - they often give next of kin details on them which could help.

How old was Walter?  Could he have been married before which is why they couldn't marry until 1929?

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I have Walter's WW1 records. His father died young (in 1907) and so his mother and younger sister are recorded as his next of kin. No mention of Dinah or any other wife.

He actually signed up twice! I have both sets of service/pension records. He was born in 1886 and added a few years on his age, to sign up in 1901. He was discharged a year later unfit. He then joined the Royal Navy in 1903, but again lied about his age. He was discharged a few weeks later! He then signed up for the Army again in 1908, but used a combination of his own and his father's middle names! He served in India for a while, but then was sent home invalided early 1911. He was discharged medically unfit in May 1911. For most of his life, he was a Cook onboard, for the Merchant Navy. I digress though! Basically - no mention of a wife for Walter on any of his Forces paperwork.

Thanks, Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
With regards to the WW1 period: This is actually the only few years that I don't know what Walter did for work.
He was discharged in May 1911, from Netley Hospital in Aldershot and from the Army.
He next appears in 1918 on his son Walter's birth cert, as a 'Rubber Employee'.
From at least 1919 onwards, we know he was a Cook for the Merchant Navy ships.
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Was he born in Rotherhithe in 1886?  Because the National Archives might have a medal card for him in their WW1 Merchant Seaman section.  Might fill in some blanks  :-\

But I digress away from Dorothy/Dinah!

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
There's a Dorothy Shepherd b1889 in Maidstone in 1901 RG13 piece 765 folio 124 page 18.

She's in the household of her aunt  Annie Harper together with Annie's sister Clara, a cousin (presumably) Ethel Harper and two other Shepherds, Mabel b1892 London and Lilian b1894 Maidstone.

That fits with the family stories except this Dorothy is slightly older.

Cancel that just re-read your post this is the one that went to America
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Was he born in Rotherhithe in 1886?  Because the National Archives might have a medal card for him in their WW1 Merchant Seaman section.  Might fill in some blanks  :-\

But I digress away from Dorothy/Dinah!

Is Walter in Aldershot with his mother in 1901?

Class: RG13; Piece: 611; Folio: 13; Page: 18

Someone has written American in the final column of the census against his name.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk