Author Topic: Seeking Family of Mary Ann Fisher, born Oct. 1895, Basford  (Read 66793 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Family of Mary Ann Fisher, born Oct. 1895, Basford
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, so disappointed for you with the latest record you recieved.  Wonder did Harriett Fisher ever marry again!! Maybe a search for a marriage may be an idea.  I know you would like to find descendants of Mary Ann your grandmother but most importantly I feel you have found her roots and as you mentioned she had a great life that she may not have had if she remained in UK - so maybe a "blessing in disguise". You could spend forever and lots of money on Certs that may prove irrelevant as Fisher name seems common in the area. Someday you may get the breakthrough as I did recently when searching for a great uncle for 12 years. Best wishes to you & kind regards Frances. PS. Harrietts sister was as you know also Mary Ann but there was a big difference in their ages!! :) :)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Thursday 20 June 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi carol
Don't let it frustrate you too much.  What you and the rchatterers have managed to piece together in the past few weeks has been amazing ..... Little pieces of mortar from the brick wall have been chipped out.  Whenever I hit a glitch I move sideways or backwards .... Give it some time and then come back to it.  Another thing I do, when frustrated, is do a complete review of all data collated - sometimes I find a clue I overlooked at the time due to excitement! 
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Thursday 20 June 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your continued support.  I did feel a bit 'deflated' with the last certificate not being 'mine', but it's a minor setback.  I'm most grateful for what I have learned, and I'm not giving up just yet.  I found some interesting "Scattergood" family members on another website but so far, haven't received any replies to my introductions.  *sigh*
The digging continues ...  and the waiting for certificates also continues ...  ;)
Thanks again to all!

Offline Tiki1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Thursday 20 June 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol. I have a great grandfather who was adopted. Every 3 or 4 months I review the information I have and I look again. I have found more information on him except who his birth parents were. Keep chipping away. With technology and information continually coming online, and Roots Chat members, eventually you will find the keystone you need. Tiki :)
Robinson New Zealand/ Ireland
Lynch England/Ireland
Huett New Zealand/India
Kennedy Durham, England
Lord England
Daffern England

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Thursday 20 June 13 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
I've been following your thread with great interest.
All I can say is never give up hope.
I started searching for my mother's two missing great uncles about 11 years ago. Family legend had it that both men left Scotland together and emigrated to a destination unknown never to be heard from again pre-1914. When I began my search I'd no idea if they really had left Scotland, or moved south to England , or sailed off to ??, or been killed in WW1 ???.
After many false trails I eventually traced one uncle to Australia about 4 years ago.
And only located the other this April, thanks to some wonderful researchers on Rootschat - He had gone to New Zealand!

So keep plodding away - there could still be more to be revealed.
Best wishes,
Looby

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Friday 21 June 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Found this in my inbox this morning ...

"Thak you for your email enquiry concerning Highbury Hospital (formerly the infirmary for Basford Workhouse), which we received on the 3 June.

I checked the register of births (ref: Uhh P 7/1) and found entries for Mary Ann and John, as follows:

Uhh P 7/1
Date:Oct 5 1895
Name of parents or mother: Fisher, Mary Ann [the name of the child appears to have been entered here in error]
Parish from which admitted: Ilkeston
In what name baprized: Mary Ann

Uhh P 7/1
Date: 10 Nov 1905
Name of parents or mother: Fisher, Harriet
In what name baptized: John

The birth register covers 1899 but I could not find an entry for Alice.

I then checked the admission/discharge registers. Unfortunately, the earliest admission/discharge register we hold (ref Uhh P 1/1) begins on the 7 October 1895, which is just after Mary Ann's birth so there is no admission entry for Harriett. There is a discharge record for Harriett and Mary Ann though, containing the following information:

Uhh P 1/1
Date: 4 Nov 1895
Name: Fisher, Harriet
How discharged: Own request
Parish from whihc admitted: Ilkeston

Uhh P 1/1
Date: 4 Nov 1895
Name: Fisher, Mary Ann
How discharge: with mother

Finally, there is an admission record for John in another admission/discharge register (ref Uhh P 1/4):

Uhh P 1/4
Date: 10 Nov 1905
Name: Fisher. John
Religious persuasion: c of E
When born: 4.20am
By whose order admitted: Born
If born in the house, name of parents: Harriett

I looked through the entries for the weeks after John's birth but I could not find a discharge entry for him or Harriett. Unfortunately, names are entered in date order and there is no name index, and it is therefore necessary to look through each page until the relevant information is found, which can take some time. The records up to and including 1912 are accessible (patient records are closed for 100 years from the date of creation) and you can if you wish hire an independent researcher to visit us and carry out a more thorough search of the registers for you. For a list of researchers, please see http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/learning/history/archives/enquiryresearchservices/archivesrecordagents/
Please note that one register covering 1901-1905 (ref Uhh P 1/3)  is too fragile and cannot be produced for visitors in the reading room."

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Friday 21 June 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
That's a bit more chipped away, Carol. :)

We do know that they were still in the workhouse in 1911 but they could have been out and back I suppose. As the records finish in 1912, it may be difficult to find out any discharge after that.
At least you now know that John is another child of Harriet's and not unrelated but with the same surname.
It's a pity re Alice but if you wanted any information, you could request a check for births for an Alice Fisher or Hall with mother Harriet Fisher.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Friday 21 June 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Quite a thorough search I think Carol.  :) And some confirmation of facts which is good.

I suppose if Harriett is discharging herself, it is possible she is admitting herself as well? So it does look as though she was in and out of the workhouse for many years.

They say that the earliest admission register they hold begins on 7 Oct 1895 - where are the earlier registers held? (this may have been mentioned in an earlier post but I have forgotten) We should try to get a look at them if possible. There doesn't seem to be much information about the inmates when admitted. I would have hoped for more ...

I think we need a time line of workhouse admissions.  ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Some links that people may find interesting given the current discussions on workhouses. mrs.tenacious posted this info www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,650560.0.html

A little more info here www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/news/new-itv-series-calling-workhouse-stories

Carol, just wondering how you could view this? The history will be great to watch and give you a real flavour surrounding these events.

Can you pick up internationally i-player programmes for the terrestial channels in the UK?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk