Author Topic: 1901 Census Error Messages  (Read 710 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
1901 Census Error Messages
« on: Monday 24 October 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Since Saturday evening, I have been confronted with an error message each to I try to "Open a Session" on the 1901 Census Website.  I have followed the advice given by the help desk (reduced my security level; allowed first party, third party and session cookies; reduced the security level on my anti-virus package - well, as I was unable to do that, I temporarily disabled it; I deleted temporary internet files), all to no avail.  I have not had a problem before, and last used the site successfully only a few days ago.

For much of the last two days I was also unable to access other pages (such as "Contact Us") but can now do so (hence the advice from the help desk).

Any ideas?

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Error Messages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 16:16 GMT (UK) »
What is the error message?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Error Messages
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 December 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed your message Starry. 

The problem was eventually sorted out.  Part of it was down to the apostrophe in my surname not being accepted (not a problem before, though).  The payment went through only the once, as only one session can be open at a time.  However, as I had tried heaven only knows how many times, there were umpteen payments "pending" as far as my bank was concerned.  This took me over my overdraft limit "technically" and payments to other companies were then blocked.  A phonecall to my bank sorted this out within a couple of minutes.  Just as well - it being half-term at the time, I was just about to take my children to see Nanny McPhee.  It was the failed pre-booking payment to the cinema that brought the "overdraft" problem to light. 

Anyone else receiving error messages when trying to make a payment over the internet take note!

Dimps

Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk