Author Topic: Look up please  (Read 1351 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Look up please
« on: Tuesday 25 October 05 14:29 BST (UK) »
Please can someone help me.
I am desperately trying to find information regarding my g-grandparents, emily davey and thomas rothery.
I am assuming they were married in essex but as i know nothing about either of them i am hitting a brick wall.
I do know that thomas was born in 1901, family members tell me ireland but god knows where. he did live in essex, where my grandmother was born in 1939, and then moved to durham where he died in 1959.
Emily is another enigma, as i dont know when or where she was born, but i do know she died c1948, and i assume in essex.
My grandmother, thomas and emilys middle daughter was born melvena vivienne rothery on 25th november 1939 in layer de la haye, essex, and her birth was registered in lexden .
Can anyone help me find some more information.

Thanks

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 05 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi adicol

Some tips to get started.

Have you got the birth cert of melvena 1939 as that will tell you where the parents were living at the time.  If you know Thomas was born 1901 then he married before 1939 as you say melvena is the middle child I assume of 3.  Find on the BMD index either online or at archives the death of Emily (obviously married surname) which will tell you where she was living when she died.  You can then check the burial registers at the archives for the nearest church to where she was living.  Marriage registers again BMD index as later ones show both people on the same index so you can then check under both surnames to cross ref the entry.  Send off to the local registrars office for the cert cost aboutn £7.00.  You can find the address etc ag genuki or google it.  This narrows down the areas they were from.  Also the occupation is important as a tradesperson was listed in trade directories like the yellow pages, which the earlier ones included private addresses.  Did Thomas fight in the first world war?  Durham registry has online records for bmd and can order certs online so worth checking out for 1959 death.

Hope this helps a bit.

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK