Author Topic: obituary of John Alexander Fraser in Canada, Need Help please  (Read 924 times)

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
obituary of John Alexander Fraser in Canada, Need Help please
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the orbituary of John Alexander Fraser
He died on 21 Jun 1955 in Toronto, Canada

Would appreciate any help
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: obituary of John Alexander Fraser in Canada, Need Help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi vivathia,

One of Toronto's major papers, the Toronto Star, has digitized every page of their paper for the past century (in .pdf format).  It's quite good for obituaries (no guarantee that it was published there though).  You have to pay to view, but since you already have the specific date of death, it probably wouldn't take you long to do a search.  You can purchase very short subscriptions, even for one hour at a time.  And the pound is worth about 2 Canadian dollars, so you can basically halve the prices - it is a good deal. 

http://thestar.pagesofthepast.ca/

Hope you find it!

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: obituary of John Alexander Fraser in Canada, Need Help please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 05 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the site,  sadly I didn't find him listed
A weird thing I did find was a Sgnt John Alexander Fraser Died in 1940, veteran of the Boer War and the great war.
My great frandfather was sgnt John Alexader Fraser (I do have his war records) and he too was a veteran of the Boer war and the great war, I got a little excited at the first paragraph even though the date was 15 years earlier than I had expected, even his age of death was the same as my great grandfather, but as I continued it listed different units he served in and told of 4 sons and 4 daughters,  so it turned out it wasn't my great grandfather.
I did try to look for a clipping that was sent to my Aunt about his retirement at Stauntons stating he worked there for a total of 60 years, and on retirement he was awarded a mahogany Writing table, but my time ran out before I could look.
but again I thank you for the website post.
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh