Author Topic: Seeking images/plans of Peterhead built emigrant ship "Dreadnought", built 1849  (Read 4557 times)

Offline David Davidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am researching my ancestor Captain John Alfred Sage Grant.

The DREADNOUGHT a.k.a. DREADNAUGHT, built in Peterhead, was the first boat he sailed on.

My grandfather had fond recollections of this man (his great grandfather), who was apparently a respected seaman.

I am using composites of family histories and newspaper accounts of his long life at sea, compiled from about 1900 to 1915.

I am particularly interested in his first voyage on the DREADNOUGHT to Natal, which departed the Downs/St Katherines in 1849.

I would be extremely grateful for any assistance in locating the images of the DREADNOUGHT , or details of her builders, so that I can firstly add to my family history, but thereafter obtain/purchase plans or photographs to help in building a model.

My research suggests that the DREADNOUGHT was a barque built in Peterhead in early 1849.  According to the 1858 Lloyd’s Register, it was a three masted vessel and its tonnage is given variously as 330 tons and 338 tons.  The vessel was registered in London and owned by a J.Towse. One account also gives its dimensions  (in feet) as 109.0 x 23.2 x 16.3.  The vessel was later engaged in passenger travel to Australia in 1851 and 53.  Its voyages indicate that it predates the American clipper DREADNOUGHT, built in 1853.

Grant in his own recollections notes sailing in the DREADNOUGHT as a junior apprentice.  He describes it as a fast new boat, apparently from Scotland.  He describes transporting the Byrne Settlers to Natal then loading cattle in Mauritius.   He then describes sailing to Cochin (India, not China) and presumably taking labourers on the return journey. The ship met heavy seas past the Cape, was awash, lost the wheel and 2 crew including the Captain.  Rosemary Dixon Smith gives the following description:

-------------------------------------------

ARRIVAL OF THE DREADNOUGHT Natal Witness November 2 1849

SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE

ARRIVALS
Nov 2nd - Dreadnought, bark, 338 tons, Capt. G Bidder, from London, with 114 passengers. Left the Downs 17th August.
Nov 4th - The Rosebud crossed the bar.

DEPARTURES
Oct 30th - Lalla Rookh, brig, Henderson, with cattle to Mauritius.

Outer Anchorage
Henry Tanner, bark, for Mauritius. GC Cato, Agent.
Dreadnought, ditto.

-----------------------------------------------

I would be tremendously grateful if you could help me establish a better picture of the “identity” of the DREADNOUGHT or its builders.  Any images would be tremendously useful. 

I would forward copies of any research, plans etc. that I can subsequently locate to you for your records/collection (if it was of interest).   

Thank you very much for your consideration of the above,

Sincerely,

David Davidge
68 Langley Cres
GRIFFITH NSW 2680

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You