Author Topic: 1891 Census West Ham (not Ancestry) Lookup Request  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
1891 Census West Ham (not Ancestry) Lookup Request
« on: Thursday 26 August 04 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm stumped with a census search and wondered if there is such a thing as an index to West Ham in 1891 other than the one available on Ancestry.co.uk?  I've searched the Ancestry database, using all the permutations I can think of, without success.

I'm looking for a family in 1891 that will look something like:
William Leonard, Head, 28 or 29, born Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire
Sarah Leonard, Wife, 25 or 26, born Castle Camps
Henry Leonard, Son, 7, born Castle Camps
Eva Leonard, Daughter, 3, born Stratford Essex

William appears to have died aged 29 in the December quarter of 1891 in West Ham registration district.  His wife remarried an Arthur Willis in 1892 and they appear in the 1901 census at 27 Western Street, West Ham with Henry and Eva as stepchildren and 4 other Willis children.

If anyone can help me find William in 1891 I'd be very grateful.

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Census West Ham (not Ancestry) Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 04 22:28 BST (UK) »
I don't know about another index but if his death at age 29 was registered in Dec 1891 qtr he may have been in West Ham workhouse. The workhouse was probably the only place to go if you were really ill. Have you checked there?

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hallo: Since I wrote the previous message I have discovered that 2 of my tribe lived in Stratford in West Ham Urban District  but died in West Ham Borough Asylum in 1915 and 1916. Both death certificates give a Registration District of Romford and a sub-district of Ilford in County of Essex. Those details lead me to suspect that that institution was either later known as Goodmayes Hospital or Claybury Hospital (both now closed).
If the same 'health care  system' was in operation in 1891 maybe you'll find him in census under 'Romford etc'.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 05 09:54 GMT (UK) »

What was the address from which the widow remarried in 1892 (it may be worth searching on that).

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 05 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry if I keep adding duff info on top of duff info but in 1891 census at RG12/964 folio 93b Andover in Hampshire I found these LEONARDS:-
William  Head M 28 Farm labourer Cambs Castle Camps
Ellen Wife M 21 Cambs West Wratting
Annie Dau S 1 Middx Tottenham
Kate PLUMB sister S 6 Cambs West Wratting

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Not duff information at all - but there were two Williams from that village with only a year between them.  The one you found must be the son of Charles and Mary whereas mine was the son of Henry and Elizabeth. 

Good point about the widow's address when she remarried, Pauline.  I may follow that one up, but as William was a rather distant half uncle, I've not yet purchased certificates for this line.

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire