Author Topic: ANGUS and OLDHAM families of BULWELL, 1760 or so-- or any time will do!  (Read 1586 times)

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
ANGUS and OLDHAM families of BULWELL, 1760 or so-- or any time will do!
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
                     I never thought to find traces of my Angus family in Nottinghamshire, but a pob in the 1851 census led me to a Henry Angus born Bulwell 1760 who married an Elizabeth Oldham in 1785.
 They had several children: Isaac, christened 1785,  Ann christened 1787, and Arabella or Isabella christened 1789, all this according to the IGI and bishops transcripts that someone found for me.
            They then moved up to Cumberland where they had other children     
       Now I am interested in where Henry's family ultimately came from The only Henry  I could find of the right age and pob has his parents listed as Mr and Mrs Angus on the IGI and I was unable to locate anyone who might be Henry's brother or sister  Does anyone know of any other Angus siblings or have them in their tree?
   Also, I wonder if any one who is knowledgeable about the area could tell me how a family with a Scottish name might come to settle in this area? And was this just the one Angus family who came, or were there more?Even speculation would be a help
                Many thanks for reading my post, even if your response may be only negative
                            Regards and best wishes
                                                      Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Angus family of Bulwell, 1760 or so
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 05 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I have checked the Nottm Fam Hist Soc BMD CDs. I can confirm the marriage and 3 children, I presume you have the dates if not get back to me. There are no siblings for Henry or baptism mentioned. There are no burials for these people.

Do you know Henrys occupation? I have relatives in Bulwell at that time and they were framework knitters.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Re: Angus family of Bulwell, 1760 or so
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Jane,
                  Thanks so much for looking the Angus family up for me. I do have the marriage and christening dates, thanks for offering them
    Perhaps the Anguses came from elsewhere to Bulwell if there is no birth etc for Henry. The family than moved up to Cumberland very early in the 19th century where they had two and maybe three more children. One of the girls from Bulwell, Arabella,  and a brother born in Cumberland, are living together near Carlisle in 1851 and according to the Cumberland OPC web site there are two burials in St Cuthbert's church Carlisle for a Henry and an Elizabeth Angus that seem to be the right ages for the parents but I am still waiting for an answer to my email asking for a full transcription of the MI. No doubt that is why you could not find burials in Bulwell.
       I have no idea what Henry's occupation was unfortunately, but if the textile industry was big in the area, maybe that is why he settled in Bulwell for a time.  I have not managed to locate him on any Census so the information I have of him and his movements is mainly indirect, as I've explained above..
         I was wondering if there was a general influx of migrants to the area in search of work, and if so, what area the majority came from.
         I am sadly ignorant about social history, unfortunately
                      Again, many thanks for your help
                                     Best wishes
                                               Jane

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ANGUS and OLDHAM families of BULWELL, 1760 or so-- or any time will do!
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I have been reading a reprint of a 1912 book Old Nottingham Suburbs by R Mellors. For the Bulwell district:

Industries: Agricultural village for 800 years.
                  (Bulwell stone is famous) Boulder stones supplied for paving and building.
                   1855 pottery using local clay. Flower pots and bricks.
                   Cotton mills. 1798 6 cotton mills preparing cotton thread for making stockings and the Manchester trade.
                    Hosiery in 18th century particularly gloves. 1 firm had 3000 frames. In 1844 there were 606 small frames (stocking frames) partly in workshops but mainly in houses.
                    Bleaching of hosiery goods.
                    1800s start of the coal industry, mid 1800s several pits opened and alot of employment for Bulwell men.
                    Railways: Midland in 1848 and the Great Northern in 1878
                    Gas : 1842
                    Population: Year1801  1,585people
                    Bulwell Hall built 1770
                    Weslyan Methodists: Important people Samuel Oldham, William Oldham  (no dates but could they be yours?)

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Re: ANGUS and OLDHAM families of BULWELL, 1760 or so-- or any time will do!
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
           What a treat to read your fascinating post. I shall print it off and add it to my notes.
         Great bit of social history there. it certainly explains why people should move there, seeking work -- the cotton industry looks just right too, the Anguses were in the textile trade when they moved up to Cumberland , calico printers and the like.
      I haven't been able to find out much about the Oldham family, so I have no idea whether they were many or few.  It certainly gives me some names to go with.
         Thanks again for all your trouble, I really appreciate it.
                                Cordially
                                            another  Jane