Author Topic: HMS Calliope in 1902-03  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
HMS Calliope in 1902-03
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Do we have any Royal Naval buffs out there?

I've just learned that my great-grandfather was on HMS Calliope in 1903-04 and I wondered if anyone would be able to shed a bit of light on the ship and it's whereabouts at this time. Would it have been involved in the Boer War by any chance or I am just letting my imagination run away with me.

Any help, pointers and general info very gratefully received.

Amy
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Calliope in 1902-03
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy,

I am no naval buff but I have just done a quick google search and there is a ton of infomation with regards to HMS Calliope (alright slight exaggeration but you know what I mean). It would appear that the ship was in England in 1890 and was laid up for seven years after which it became a tender for the next eight years which would cover the South African war years
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley,

Thanks fo the reply. What exactly do you mean by "it became a tender"?
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:43 GMT (UK) »
In this case it would mean that the ship was employed to take supplies (provisions etc) to other ships or naval establishments dotted along the coast. On one of the sites that I quickly went into it shows a picture of HMS Calliope and has a history of it.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. I've just seen a picture of the ship on someone's website. There seem's to be lots and lots of info about the ship escaping from the hurricane in 1889, but not much for the period i am looking for.

Thanks again old rowley.

Best Wishes

Amy

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 05 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Lots of stuff in the Times!  If you are a member of your local library, check their website to see if they offer a subscription - Cambridgeshire libraries does!

The Times, Friday, Aug 15, 1902; pg. 5; Issue 36847; col A
The Naval Review at Spithead.  The 'Training Service', the Northampton, Calliope and Cleopatra, were not considered 'effective fighting ships', and were used for training only.  The Northampton was an armoured ship launched in 1876, the other two old fashioned corvettes, fully rigged in the 'old style'.  The Calliope was expected to gather some attention, being the ship which had come through the hurricane.

(Note, the Naval Review was for the coronation of Edward VII, and it appears the Royal Family would have come to inspect the fleet.  So your ancestor might have had a close brush with royalty - no doubt they would have been working flat out to get everything perfect...)

The Times, Monday, Aug 10, 1903; pg. 5; Issue 37155; col A  - an inquest in Kingston harbour, principal witness Captain Douglas Nicholson, of the Calliope.  A Captain Arthur Dodgson had been appointed to the Calliope as depot commander of the Kingston destroyer flotilla during the torpedo manouvers, and ten days on board committed suicide by cutting his throat, leaving a note for his widow.

The Times, Saturday, Dec 05, 1903; pg. 9; Issue 37256; col E
The Calliope, cruiser, commander D.R.L. Nicholson, tender to the Northampton, cruiser, sea-going training ship for boys, arrived on Thursday at Vigo.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 05 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Amy,

The Boer War ended in April 1902.

Here's some info on HMS Calliope:

Calliope,    †  1884
Type: Light Cruiser; late Cruiser 3rd Class ; Armament 16
Completed  ‡ : 24 Jul 1884 ; BM: tons ; Displacement: 2770 tons
Propulsion: Screw Complement: 291
Machinery notes: 4020 ; Speed ; 14.6 knots ;
Notes:
25 Jan 1887 Commissioned at Portsmouth.
1890 On way home to Plymouth
26 Jun 1897 Present at the Naval Review at Spithead in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee.
1 Apr 1900 Training Squadron (WDP).
Lent to Tyneside Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Aug 1914 Newcastle

Leofric

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 17:34 GMT (UK) »
The present HMS Calliope is a 'stone frigate' on South Shore Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. It's the home of the Royal Naval Reserve, Tyne Division.
Spent some time there in the past when I was a Naval Reservist. They might be able to give you a potted history of Calliope in her previous incarnations

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk