Author Topic: Location of the Rosemary Cafe Belfast 1945  (Read 2750 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Location of the Rosemary Cafe Belfast 1945
« on: Monday 31 October 05 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Could some kind person locate the name of the street that the Rosemary Cafe was situated in Belfast, I seem to recollect it was near a bomb site that was used as a fair ground in the winter of 1945/6.
Information needed purely for sentimental reasons.
Thanking you   Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Location of the Rosemary Cafe Belfast 1945
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dennis,

The bomb site was in High Street. I think the Rosemary may have been in Rosemary Street (this runs from Bridge Street to Royal Avenue. It is like a staggered cross roads. It faces Waring Street. The other streets forming the cross are Bridge Street, coming from High Street and Lower Donegall Street running to Royal Avenue).  Was the cafe a large building? There is a lovely old building at the corner of Waring Street / Lower Donegal Street. It used to be a Cafe. It is looking very sad for itself. It is across the street from the Northern Whig which has had a face lift and is now a licensed premises.
I will ask around and see if I can find more about the Rosemary. The Lombard Cafe used to be in that area too. You may be interested in a bit of history on the area.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/belfast/ub_waringst_replies.shtml

I note your surname is Savage.
Are you related to a Savage who was in the insurance business in Belfast ?

All the Best Chris.

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris, All I can remember about the cafe in addition to the previous message is that it was there at about 7 pm on the 21st Feb 1946 because this was the date I met my future wife there and we are still together.
As regards my Savage family my first connection is in Lambeth London in 1809 and I have not a clue from whence they came, The family had this tradition of naming the first born William and in turn they had this phobia that they had to marry a Mary !!
Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Dennis,

It is pleasant in this day and age to hear of couples who have stayed together for almost sixty years. I am sure you have had many ups and downs as well as a few of life's hard knocks during that period. I imagine you and your wife have also had the odd tiff but you obviously managed to kiss and make up again.

Would you like some help tracing your Irish ancestors?

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
               Are they fish depicted on your jumper? have spent the last twelve days trying to outwit those creatures, without a lot of success I might add, Tis very complicated trying to follow up the wifes family, is there any chance of direct contact as I know if I put my e mail address on Roots Chat it does not work, All this electronic stuff has me baffled, 400 years ago if you said you could contact someone the other side of the world instantaneous one would finish up being the main participant at a barbecue as a witch.
Dennis

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 05 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Den
His jumper has been fascinating me too!

Hope he replies soon - although fear he may be busy acting as one of Father Christmases Helpers for a few weeks!

saz ;D
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 05 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you Saz was just thinking the same about Christopher and the santa job   ;D

wondering if his Full Name is Christopher kringle.

teap
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 November 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
               You were spot on, the Rosemary Coffee bar was located at # 23 Rosemary Street, in 1945 and 1946.
The site you suggested was a good one, the only trouble is that at this time of the year us exiles in Australia long for a nice cold Christmas Day, well at least we do, so have a good one yourself and a very good 2006.
Thank you      Dennis