Author Topic: MacIsaacs of Canna, MacDonalds of Morar  (Read 14571 times)

Offline Heather Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MacIsaacs of Canna, MacDonalds of Morar
« on: Monday 31 October 05 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Anybody researching these families, especially ones who emigrated to Nova Scotia , c.1770-1790.
Heather

Offline breakish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacIsaacs of Canna, MacDonalds of Morar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
there is a local historian in arisaig called alan macdonald who knows everything there is to know about the morar macdonalds, there is also a local paper called westword which you can access the guest book and ask for help. tell them kenny macpherson advised you and you will get a warm highland welcome

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 05 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Just by way of a small addition in case it should lead anyone to miss something. As well as the MacDonalds in and of Morar, what were known as the MacDougall MacDonalds of Morar, branches of the chiefly family were in family lands in the islands of Benbecula and South Uist for a hundred years or more. Even after Allan of Morar sold the lands there in 1748 [I think it was] they included the tacksmen of Garryghoil in Benbecula, and Kilaulay and various othervtwonships in South Uist. It was descendants of one of these branches that was involved in the 1850's court case concerning the inheritance of the South Morar estate.
Email address is not working

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 05 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather Anne,

Are you in Scotland?

The reason I ask is that I have some lovely photos of Morar which I can send you copies of if you send me your personal e-mail address by PM.

If you live in that area, you'll obviously know how beautiful it is!

Anne.

Offline Heather Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 05 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne
Actually, I'm in Canada. I'd love to see some pics of Morar!  I visited Scotland briefly 20 odd years ago, and in fact went to many of the signifigant places, without knowing it.   These families came to Nova Scotia and St. John's Island (Prince edward Island)  in the mid to late 1700's. I have an interest in photography, and have some lovely old (1870's) photos of the family from Nova Scotia if you're interested.  Just have to figure out the new scanner!!
Cheers!
Heather

Offline Heather Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 05 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken and also Angus
Thanks for your referreal to Allan MacDonald and Westworld.  I've been in touch with them and read Westorld on a regulal basis. It's been absolutely invaluable to me!   I only began this a couple of years ago and stumbled into this incredible amount of "stuff" on the MacDonalds, MacIsaacs and Clan Ranald etc.  It's been a bit overwhelming. I have at least 3 famillies of MacDonalds, all from Morar, Moidart and Lochaber.  Give me a quick geography lesson....are these counties? In particular 2 places called (forgive me) "Suinesletter" and "Drimindarich"  My ancester " Lodyvick (Loddy) MacDonald and his wife Mary Grant (Kinloid) was from Suinesletter and shipped out on "The Jane" in 1790 from  Drumindarich to Prince edward Island (St. John's Island)   Allan says "it is probably correct to assume that the Macdonalds on that ship from Rhetland and Suinsketter were brothers and sister and descendants of MacDonald of Morar the remnants of 'Rhetland' Captain Allan Macdonald of Rhetland, son of Angus, son of Allan Og, and brother of allan Roy VII of Morar. "  If this sounds slightly convoluted its because it is.  I don't fully understand the connection...again I plead my novice stature in thesematters.  Can anyone straighten me out?  Where is Rhetland????

Angus
I'm aware of the MacDougals and their relation to the MacDonalds of Morar.  There are also MacDougals and MacDonells in my family from Lochaber who family tradition says are related.  My gg aunt, Mary MacIsaac married Alexander "Alasdair Ruaidh" MacDougall, born in Lake ainsleNova Scotia.
Slainte
Toooooo many MacDonalds..........Looking forward to hearing from you all again!

Heatther

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

These were not MacDougalls but MacDonalds of Morar who had obtained the Morar lands in Benbecula and South Uist and, to distinguish them from all the other Clanranald Macdonalds in the islands were referred to by a sloinneadh or patronymic starting with Dougall, the murdered sixth chief of Clanranald. It was his sons who failed to regain the chieftainship of Clanranald but in recompense were given the lands of South Morar, Garryghoil in Benbecula and Machermeanich & Skeirhough [Howmore &Howbeg] in South Uist. Sortened the sloinneadh was Mac mhic Dhughail, son of the son of Dougall but they became known as the MacDougall MacDonalds of Morar/ Garryghoil etc. in the islands.

Incidentally, there are some rather one sided pieces on the ether implying that their close cousins the Rhetland MacDonalds had been cheated of the South Morar inheritance whereas, it seems to me that there may have been genuinely competing claims that, perhaps because of distance between PEI, Upper Canada, the islands and Edinburgh, were never properly resolved.

It may not be entirely a coincidence that the MacEachens of Howbeg [one of their number the Neil MacEachen who was the driving force in the Flora MacDonald rescue of Bonnie Prince Charlie and father of Etienne MacDonald, Duke of Tarentum, one of Napoleon's Marshalls] were from Druimdarroch. They were at one time thought to be MacDonalds but modern views are that they were actually MacLeans.
Email address is not working

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 05 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Heather Anne,

I'll have a go at posting an photo but don't hold your breath if it doesn't appear - I'm notoriously hopeless at doing this kind of thing!

If you can contact me by private message, I'll send some more to you direct. (Click on my name which will take you to my profile page then click on 'private message', then send me your e-mail.)

Anne

Offline Mary746

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 August 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi this family Lodyvick (Loddy) MacDonald and his wife Mary Grant (Kinloid) was from Suinesletter and shipped out on "The Jane" in 1790 from  Drumindarich to Prince Edward Island (St. John's Island)   are also part of my family.  Most of them settled in Nova Scotia.  I don't know how much information you have but I have some.  If you are interested let me know.
I live in Ontario but was born in Nova Scotia.
Mary