Author Topic: Ann Ledsom, Born Irby, about 1825  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ann Ledsom, Born Irby, about 1825
« on: Monday 31 October 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Ann Ledsom who was born about 1825 in Irby (1841 census) or about 1823 (1851 census) and who married Daniel Roberts in about 1842.

At the time of the 1841 census she was living with John and Ann Bennett in Irby but if, as I'm assuming, John was her stepfather who was her father? The only possibility I've come up with so far (from the Family Search site) is William Ledsom, son of William and Ann Ledsom. He is shown as having been Christened on 7th May 1797 and was, apparently, the only son of the family but had seven sisters. Another possibility may be that William's sister, Nanny (presumably Ann)  was Ann Ledsom's (unmarried) mother.

Ann's first child, Margaret, was born in about 1842 but I've so far failed to trace the marriage (which would give me her father's name) or the record of Margaret's birth.

I hope all that's not too muddled and I'd be really appreciative of information/suggestions on any/all of the following:

Birth/Chistening of Ann Ledsom, Irby, 1823/1825 with parents' names.
Her marriage to Daniel Roberts, probably 1841/42.
Birth/Christening of her first child, Margaret, probably 1841/42.

Many thanks

Marie.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

IRELAND:CostelloSauce,Hatchell
Connolly/Conneelly(Kilkerrin,Co Galway)
WALES: Flintshire-Roberts
CHESHIRE-Irby: Ledsham,Roberts,Bennett
LANCS:
Liverpool: Howard
Halewood: Ellison, Turton,
Prescot: Cross, Hornby, Prescott
Warrington: Sauce
Widnes: Connolly, Cross, Currie, Prescott
Manchester: Currie
Altcar: Howard, Bolton
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Ledsom, Born Irby, about 1825
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 05 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie
Start from the bottom and work up ;)
Have you looked at the free B.M.D ? i found 2 Margaret Roberts Birth March 1842 Wirral.You will have to obtain the Birth certificate to get the right date of birth plus other information.They wont send it to you if you if the parents don't match.So having the right parents ensures you wont buy a certificate that isn't yours. Hope this helps

Celia
 P.S. On the other hand i sent for my G.Grandfathers b/c for 1841.I  had obtained his parents names from his marriage certificate.Which was correct. I didn't get the B/C because the parents didn't match.I still haven't solved the problem ???
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 05 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Celia. I should keep notes/dates who I've checked FreeBMD for so I can go back again later and have another go but I'm not organised enough. I know their transcribing is far from complete because I've been helping for several years now. I often get impatient and go to 1837online which I'm probably going to have to do with this.

Having said that, I don't think Margaret's BC would help. I have the birth certificate of her younger sister, Mary Ann, who is our direct line but or a long time I had only the name of their father, Daniel Roberts. I was puzzled when I found from Mary's BC that their mother's name was Ann Ledsom because the name of Ann Ledsom's parents on both 1841/51 censuses was Bennett. Birkenhead Regs' office was very helpful and assured me this was the only one it could be but I still couldn't accept it and in the end applied for a certificate for the youngest sibling which confirmed the Ledsom link.

I still can't get back beyond Margaret's/Mary's parents - Daniel Roberts and Ann Ledsom which is why I wondered about parish registers.

I sympathise with the mystery surrounding your g.grandfather - I have what seems to be an apparently insoluble problem with my maternal grandfather who was the only one of my four grandparents who was still alive when I was born and when I was growing up. I thought I'd traced him but then there's a huge gap in the census records and I can't identify him with any certainty before he and my grandmother married - makes me feel almost like an orphan!

Best wishes

Marie.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

LANCS:
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 05 14:44 GMT (UK) »
In regard to my G.Grandfathers parents not matching the ones on marriage certificate.It was suggested by another member,that maybe his real mother  had died so a married Baron brother had brought him up.Didnt do anything about it though,but if that is the case the tree comes to a full stop there.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 05 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

The story surrounding my maternal grandfather is really involved - I know he was illegitimate but it's almost certain that his mother was either born before her parents married or that they weren't married, with the latter being the most likely. It's impossible to identify his father and I'm beginning to think it's impossible to identify his mother with any certainty. It seems like he didn't exist before his marriage in 1908! I give up for a time and then I get the bug again and send for yet another certificate to try to prove my theories only to have my hopes dashed yet again.

I often wonder what a professional genealogist would make of it but friends' experiences have made me very wary of going down that path and anyway it's not nearly as much fun!

All this and I haven't done much more than scratch the surface with my Scottish and Irish roots!

Marie.

LANCS: