Author Topic: 1841 census look up - Gerrard  (Read 2211 times)

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census look up - Gerrard
« on: Monday 31 October 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Gerrard who was probably living in Stocks Lane, Great Boughton, Chester.  He would have been about 26 at the time of this census and his occupation was probably 'gardener'.  I am also hoping to pick up information on William Gerrard senior (I am assuming this is his father) who would have been 54 at this time.  His profession was 'master gardener'.  They may have been living in the same house - on the 1851 census they were living a few doors apart!
Any informtion would be very welcome.  Many thanks  :)
Cowie, Gerrard, Kirkland, Robinson

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up - Gerrard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old request but I was in Chester Record Office yesterday and found this in St Oswalds a marriage between William Gerrard, Gardener and Elizabeth Woods 15/2/1813, witnesses were Samuel Gerrard and Thomas Gerrard. Also a couple of baps William - son of william Gerrard occupation, caurster. 20/11/1785 and Miles son of Ann Gerrard 8/5/1787.  All the other baps where no father is mention had (ILL) alongside their names but there wasn't on this one, so perhaps Ann was a widow.
I am researching the Gerrard's as well from Chester
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you - this sounds really promising.  The records become confusing because there is more than one family of Gerrards in Chester and they all seemed to be sizeable families!  I am descended from the Boughton Gerrards but there were also Gerrards living in Handbridge to whom I don't think I'm connected.  However, back to the 1813 marriage - I have a marriage certificate for William Gerrard and Elizabeth Salisbury dated July 1849.  William's age is given as 34 so this could fit in with his father having been married in 1813.  William Gerrard (the father)'s occupation is given as 'gardener' .  Have you any idea what a caurster is?  It would be interesting to hear if you are researching the same branch of the family. 

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 June 08 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, Liz the archivist on Tuesday did say that the occupation was something to do with hot irons (!) I suppose that a castrator would need hot irons (ow). I am researching the Handbridge Gerrards I can't believe there are two families in Chester calling their children by the same names, ie Miles,Moyles or Myles. What do you think?  what about Henry Gerrard the butcher in Bridge Street is he in your tree?

Take care
Esther
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 June 08 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi ayresa -

I think this could be William on the 1841 census -

Living in Stocks Lane Gt Boughton and transcribed as'Williams Gerrard' -

William Gerrard 55 Gardener
Mary  50
Williams 25 Gardener
Ann 20
Joseph 15
James 15
Unfortunately the 1841 doesn't give much more information only that they were all born 'in county'.

Have you had a look at the Cheshire Parish Register Database?It may be of interest to you and Esther.Many of the baptisms,marriages and burials from the parish registers have been put on line.There are quite a few entries for Gerrards.

If you click on the circle and the square for the record you want you should see the details. If the date reads - 8180816. Put a 1 at the start and the date will be 16/8/1818.

Do you know whether William was a twin because there's a baptism on16/8/1818
for a William Gerrard - mother Mary and father William(gardener).Thomas is baptised on the same day - same parents.
They are living in Boughton but baptised at St Johns Chester.

I found Thomas Gerrard (born about 1817)on the 1841 living in the township of Huntington. The head of  the house is Thomas Parker but living in the same household is an Elizabeth Salisbury so there could be a connection.

On the 1851 William Gerrard(son) and his wife  Elizabeth are living with his brother in law Thomas Salisbury.

Thomas Gerrard is living in Boughton in 1851

I've attached the link for the  Cheshire Parish Register Database - also a link for Overleigh Cemetery Chester which has a searchable database - there are some Gerrards there too.
Please let me know if you would like the census images.

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/Overleigh/Home.htm

Hope this helps

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ayresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 June 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Neptune.  After a lull in my researches I am suddenly awash with information - and that's great.  I'm going to check out the two web addresses you gave me - so it might take me a little while.  I'm sure you have the right William Gerrard in the 1841 census - various members of the family lived in Stocks Lane up to the 1930's.  I hadn't heard that there were twins in the family and although I haven't come across any other incidences of twins - it wouldn't at all surprise me!  I will get my head down and do some work and let you know how I get on.  Thank you again for the helping hand

Esther - I think I've come across the "castrator" before.  He sounds wicked, doesn't he?  I'm sorry to say be doesn't belong to my branch - my Gerrards were mostly rather sedate market gardeners until the railways and the steelworks at Shotton took some of them away!  None of my family carry the name Miles - William seems to be the chosen name!! - but I have come across a Miles Gerrard living at Vicars Cross and there is also another family of Gerrards whose address seems to be "up Christleton Road"!!!  I will certainly report back if I come across any of the Handbridge Gerrards on my travels.

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up - Gerrard-Twins
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 June 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Talking about Twins Michael & Gilbert Gerrard where twins born 1794 in Handbridge.

Esther

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi ayresa

You're welcome - I hope you find  something.

I thought both you and Esther may also like to have a look at the wills held at the Cheshire Records Office in Chester,
I had a quick look (just put the surname)and there are quite a few Gerrards- including

Michael(the elder) Great Boughton 1842  - Gentleman
Michael  Chester 1872 Castrator

Miles Great Boughton 1807  Yeoman
Miles Chester 1860  Gardener
Miles 1909 Vicars Cross

I think you can order a copy of the wills for about £3.00 plus postage(if you wanted to).

Just thought you might both find it interesting

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Home.htm

Good Luck

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
Esther

Handbridge Gerrards

It is interesting that Gilbert Gerrard was a twin with Michael. I have a record that shows John and Michael twins born 13 June 1793. I also have record of Gilbert born 5 October 1794.
Any information you have on the Gerrards of Chester about this time would be very useful.

Bob