Author Topic: What uniform  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What uniform
« on: Tuesday 01 November 05 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I have this random picture in my collection, I have no idea who it is, but if I knew what the uniform was fron it may help in figuring it out.
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 14:56 GMT (UK) »
scattletrap,i think its boer war period,the chevron is a good conduct stripe,the crossed cannons usually mean a gunnery instructor but his seem to have a crown above and hes wearing no stripes,the only badge i have seen like this,is a royal artillery best battery prize badge,which was worn by all the NCOs and men in the battery,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I tend to agree with manmac by saying that it is most likely to be from the Boer war period. He also has what looks like a medal ribon on his tunic as well.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I never heard about anyone in the family being involved in the boer war, the plot thickens
Sharon

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
sharon,the medal ribbon looks like that for the india general service medal,for those who served in india between 1854-1895,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I would say that the uniform is from the WW1. I would also say the the soldier is an ANZAC, he is also wearing calf length boots with no toecap. This would indicate Cavalry, the hat is good indcator to, the crossed rifles tell us that he is a marksman.
The photograph may well have been taken in Egypt by the look of the back ground.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 18:32 GMT (UK) »
jon,they are crossed cannons,mack

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
It's an albumen print, so unlikely to be as late as WW1.  I'd say the Boer War period is more realistic  :)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I just checked for the war medals for people who served with ANZAC but couldn't recognise any of the names.

Sharon