Author Topic: Surrey/Hampshire ancestors. How do I connect?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Surrey/Hampshire ancestors. How do I connect?
« on: Friday 27 August 04 12:27 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help or advise me??
My problem is that an ancestor Robert Mason b.1785 in Frimley  Surrey, married a Rebecca Robinson in Yateley,Surrey in
1811. I believe they had a son also Robert b.1819 in Aldershot, Hants and who married a Eleanor Fludder in 1840 also in Aldershot.
I know Robert (b1819) parents were Robert Mason and Rebecca and the only Robert/Rebecca I can find are those from
nearby Yateley.
The parish records for Yateley state that they were both of that parish
My problem??  How do I go about connecting father and son.
Maybe I've got the wrong relationship.
Any help would be appreciated.

dudjac
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey/Hampshire ancestors. How do I connect?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 04 12:54 BST (UK) »
dudjac

My suggestions would be (in no particular order):

1) Look for a will of Robert Mason senior (I've just checked TNA site and found one for a Robert Mason of Yately, potter, in 1789 - outside your time-frame I know but interesting nevertheless).
2) When and where did Robert senior die - did he get as far as 1851 and was he living with his "son" or a known sibling.
If not, did he die after 1837 - his death certificate might have his son as the informant. His age which should be given in the burial register after 1812 should help you.  (I have found some Robert Mason burials in Farnborough - next door parish to all these places, details available if you wish).

(The same would apply for Rebecca but no burial for Rebecca of correct sort of age before 1837.  No burials in Yately before 1837 that would fit either Robert Mason senior or his wife)

3) What were the professions of the reputed father and son - if similar, I'd say you were on the right track.
4) Might there be a way in via Rebecca's relatives - might her father have left a will naming his grandchildren (it is possible, I've made connections this way).
5) Was Robert junior resident in Aldershot at the time of his marriage or was he from Yately - or somewhere else?
6) Who were the witnesses at Robert junior's marriage - any chance one of them was his Dad Robert?

Let me know if you get anywhere with these thoughts or if you want onfo on the burials.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk