Author Topic: Dicksons of Kirkbean  (Read 4600 times)

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dicksons of Kirkbean
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any information on the following Dickson family who I believe lived in the Kirkbean area at Gillhead in the late 1800s and early 1900 and possibly beyond.

1.  JAMES CAMPBELL (4) DICKSON  (JACOB (3), THOMAS (2), RICHARD (1)) was born 15 Dec 1853 in Torthorwald, Dumfries, and died 04 May 1927 in Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.  He married AGNES FRASER 03 Dec 1884 in Annan, Dumfries, daughter of ROBERT FRASER and AGNES DUFF.  She was born Abt. 1853 in Closeburn, Dumfries, and died 14 Dec 1925 in Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.

More About JAMES CAMPBELL DICKSON:

Children of JAMES DICKSON and AGNES FRASER are:
   i.   FRANCIS WILLIAM5 DICKSON, b. 24 Oct 1885, Closeburn, Dumfries.
   ii.   JACOB DICKSON, b. 04 Aug 1887, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.
   iii.   AGNES DICKSON, b. 03 Jun 1889, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright; d. 23 Dec 1889, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.

Notes for AGNES DICKSON:
Died @ Gillhead of Croup (illness duration 2 days)

iv.   JANE WELLS DICKSON, b. 03 Oct 1890, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.
   v.   ROBERT FRASER DICKSON, b. 09 Aug 1892, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.
   vi.   JAMES DICKSON, b. 09 Oct 1894, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.
   vii.   JOHN FRASER DICKSON, b. 25 Jul 1896, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright.

I believe that possibly all four sons were in WW 1, with two serving with the KOSB and one with A&SH.  One having died, Pte J Dickson KOSB and is remembered on the Kirkbean WWI memorial.   James Campbell Dickson was the son of Jacob Dickson & Jane Wells of Woodside, Mouswald.  He was an uncle to my grandfather, Thomas Graham Dickson who came to Australia about 1909/1910.  We lost connection with our scottish Dickson family when he died in 1935.  Any information on this line would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Michael Dickson
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner