Author Topic: Aberystwyth & Tregron Bank  (Read 2292 times)

Offline shavenuw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Aberystwyth & Tregron Bank
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the history of the Aberystywth & Tregaron Bank which existed 1810 - 1814. It was based in Bridge St, Aberystwyth. That is about all that is known about the bank.

If anyone has any old notes they were worth £150 to £180 at auction in 2001.
They are quite distinctive (apart from the obvious name across the top) as the £1 note has one black sheep, the £2 note has two black sheep etc. This led to the bank also being known as 'Banc Y Ddafad Du'

Any info about this little-known bank would be much appreciated.
Thanks

* Please also look at John Evans - Abermagwr

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Aberystwyth & Tregron Bank
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I notice by your profile that you are in Ceredigion.   There may be archives and other information on the bank at the National Library of Wales at Aberystwyth, one of a number of copyright libraries in the UK http://www.llgc.org.uk Information is available in both Welsh and English and I imagine if there are any documents etc relating to the bank, they will be stored there.   Day reader's tickets used to be readily available free on production of some ID.
As I remember there was also mention made of the bank in the history of Aberystwyth - Born on a Perilous Rock by W.J. Lewis, published by the Cambrian News in 1980. 
Best of luck with your researches, cheers Dave 8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that the NLW/LLGC no longer issues day tickets - if you take 2 forms of ID and a couple of photos you can be issued with a readers ticket on the day which lasts for 5 years. It's still free though.

It's worth the little exttra effort as there is so much to look at in the library. I was able to handle the will of my ggggrandfather! Priceless!

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shavenuw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 05 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for the advice about the library. The curator of Aberystywth Museum has recently researched the history of the bank very thoroughly through the recognised channels and very little is known about the bank. I'm trying to find out more through 'informal' sources - such as roots - to discover any family legends that may not necessarily be published elsewhere.
I will take a look through the library though - its a fascinating place and just down the road from me.
Once again, thanks.