Author Topic: Hit a Brick Wall Walmsley / Butterfield  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Alva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hit a Brick Wall Walmsley / Butterfield
« on: Friday 27 August 04 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi  All: I have recently started searching for my roots.  Was waiting for my grandparents marriage certificate to arrive from Winnipeg, Manitoba, thinking it would end all queries, but no.  I am not able to find any information about Albert Butterfield marrying Ellen Welsh.  They would likely be from the Manchester area.  On my grandfathers birth  certificate he is registered as Charles Herbert Ramage(April 26,1869 Chorlton upon Medlock) and mother was Ellen Watson no father mentioned.  Now on the marriage certificate he is Charles Butterfield and parents are as above,but mother is Welsh not Watson!  Cannot find anything in the 1881 census for them.  The other great grandparents are Houghton Walmsley and Selina Pollard.  They are in the 1881 census but cannot find anything in the Free BMD or the Lancashire BMD. They were from the Blackburn area.  Houghton was from Pleasington, Lancashire and Selina was from St Just Cornwall.  I find this hard to believe the areas being so far apart that they would marry.  Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this.  I live in British Columbia and so don't have access to your local records.  Thanks, Alva
Hart, Mallett( Ilford,Essex) Walmsley, Whalley, Royston(Blackburn) Butterfield, Watson, Naphtali(Manchester) Spratling (Somerset & Middlesex) Rowe (Middlesex) Crudgington (London/Middlesex)Welsh(Walsh, Walch), Rammage, Wilkinson( Liverpool)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a Brick Wall Walmsley / Butterfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
You are going to have fun with that lot!
I suggest that you use the chance given on another posting here . There is a Houghton Walmsley, widower, aged 44 in 1891, born Mellor (not far from Pleasington). Is he a possible fit?
As for Charles.......there is a Charles Butterfield right age in the 1891 and he might fit with one in the 1881 who is at school. Wonder if that is him. Sounds like there was probably some remarrying and changing of child's surname.
Anyways, get going with the lookups and you'll have loads of fun. (I found a Ramage family where they saw fit to name all 5 girls Mary Something and the son was named after his father! Glad I don't have that family to sort out!)

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk