Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 902 times)

Offline Chubbler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for advice
« on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am searching for information on the birth of a relative who served in the South Wales Borderers, I have his marriage and death, and some info kindly found by a member of possible beginnings. The info given to me regarding his military service is very vague, we think he joined in 1914, he fought in Gallipoli was wounded ( but not discharged) this part is fairly concrete. I have a photo of him in uniform with three stripes but cannot find a sergeant in his name under that regiment. He was in barracks in Suffolk where I believe he came out of service. I have found an Owens -  sergeant under The Welsh Regiment are they the same? Sorry for the waffle but as I say its all rather vague, I have downloaded a medal card but not sure how this will help me, how much info do I need for service records?
 Any help gratefuly received.
Crisell Daines Tomkins Pearce Cobbin Meek Owens Pugh Williams Grimsey Soar
 Last Cattermole Butters

Suffolk Norfolk Merionthshire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 09:13 GMT (UK) »
chubbler what was his name,the welsh regt and the SWB are different regts,but he could have enlisted in the SWBs but left england with the welsh regt,that would mean his war medals would only be listed on the medal cards for the welsh regt
eg,if he went to gallipoli with the SWBs in 1915 and later transferred to the welsh regt,then his 1915 star would be listed under the SWBs and his war and victory medals under the welsh regt,mack
but if he enlisted in the SWBs and then transferred to the welsh regt before going overseas,then all his medals will be listed under the welsh regt,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Chubbler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
The gentleman in question was Thomas John Owens, he was born in 1890, in Carnarvonshire, still searching for exactly where in Carnarvon. This is probably a silly question but would a Welsh based regiment be in barracks here in Suffolk in 1920? This is where he then settled with his family.
Many thanks
Chubbler

Last Cattermole Butters

Offline Chubbler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Anymore advice?
 Last Cattermole Butters

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 06 18:10 GMT (UK) »
hiya chubbler,if i was looking for thomas john owens,i would have gone for the one in the welsh regt No 19858,he may have been in the SWB when he enlisted,but served overseas with the welsh regt after transferring,his previous enlistment wont show up in the medal index cards if he didnt serve overseas with them.heres an eg
private thomas jones enlisted into the manchester regt in 1914,a few weeks before his batt went overseas,he went on a machine gun coarse,after qualifying he went to france with the MGC,all his medals will be named to the MGC,and there will be no mention of his service with the manchesters on the medal cards,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Chubbler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,
Thank you very much.
Will see what I can find now.
Many thanks
Teresa
 Last Cattermole Butters