Author Topic: SELBY family from leicestershire  (Read 4106 times)

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SELBY family from leicestershire
« on: Saturday 28 August 04 12:48 BST (UK) »
 8) Hi I am looking for family members from loughborough,Barrow upon soar,mostly around those areas,  some moved to derbyshire ripley,others nottingham but alot stayed in leicestershire loughborough. Some names in the family were Darby's, Harris,hulls,whitehead and sharpe.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SELBY family from leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 04 14:05 BST (UK) »
I have some names to add here to help anyone help me to find my roots, In the 1861 census I have here, BENJAMIN SELBY  AGE 31 BASKET MAKER BORN IN GOTHAM NOTTINGHAM IN AROUND 1830, his wife MARIA SELBY(MAIDEN NAME UNKNOWN) AGE 31 BORN IN  LEICESTERSHIRE LOUGHBOROUGH AROUND 1830,
 CHILDREN wILLIAM AGE 12 BRICKMAKERS BOY, LEICESTER,LOUGHBOROUGH, B.AROUND 1849, fANNY SCHOLAR,AGE 5, B.AROUND 1856 LEIS,LOUGH, bENJAMIN,AGE 3 B.AROUND 1858 SAME PLACE AND THOMAS 6 MONTHS B. AROUND 1861 SAME PLACE

Benjamin the father was my g.g.g grandfather

Another family was from the 1901  census

THOMAS SELBY BORN IN 1861 AGE 40 AND WAS A LABOURER IRONWORKS
WIFE WAS  CHARLOTTE SARAH SELBY (NÉE HULL) BORN THE 14TH OF AUGUST 1859 IN WATFORD HERTFORDSHIRE,LIVING IN LEICESTERSHIRE,LOUGH.
CHILREN WERE jOHN bENJAMIN SELBY BORN THE 21 SEPTEMBER 1884 IN NOTTINGHAM,NOTTS AND HE WAS 16 IN 1901 AND WAS A LABOURERE FARM GENERAL
THOMAS  B.AROUND 1887 LEICS,LOUGH,cHARLOTTE MARIA SELBY BORN IN 1892 IN LEICS,LOUGH, ARTHUR ,B.AROUND 1895 SAME PLACE,eLSIE B.AROUND 1897 AND EDITH B. AROUND 1899

THOMAS SELBY FATHER WAS MY G.G. GRANDFATHER AND HIS SON jOHN bENJAMIN WAS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER.

John Benjamin selby's sister  charlotte Maria selby later on married George whitehead around 1909 and children were Margaret,queenie,vera,gwendoline,Hayden and george. Charlotte died in 1941 from phnemonia and asthma and served in the war,which one I don,t know.

John Benjamin died in Canada as he came here in 1911 around and his wife Lucy selby, (née Darby) came the following year 1912 with 3 children,John cyril selby born the 29 june,1911,doris and Mabel,but mabel was not john,s daughter mabel was born in 1906 july. John Benjamin died the  16 april,1923 in  Québec Canada.

I have gotten as far as 1801-02 in my family tree, THOAMS SELBY B. AROUND 1801-02  HE WAS A AGRICULTUREL LABOURER BORN IN NTTS,REMPSTONE, THIS WAS FOUND IN THE 1851 CENSUS, HIS WIFE WAS ALICE SELBY(MAIDEN NAME NOT SURE MAYBE PRICE OR WARDLE) BUT NOT CERTAIN. SHE ALSO WAS BORN AROUND 1801-02,BORN IN NTTS,GOTHAM, CHILDREN WERE bENJAMIN SELBY B.AROUND 1830 BASKET MAKER, NTTS REMPSTONE, ELIZABETH SELBY B. AROUND 1839 IN LOUGHBOROUGH AND IN 1851 WAS 12 AND WORKING AS A COTTON HOSE SEAMER,ALONG WITH HER BROTHER JOHN,B.AROUND 1843  AGE 8 AND DID THE SAME WORK.

SO THOMAS WAS MY G.G.G.G.GRANDFATHER.I hope this helps anyone who may recognize any names and help me find any living relatives.
thank you 8)
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby