Author Topic: Who was James Reid the "Wizard of the South?"  (Read 3559 times)

Offline JimW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Who was James Reid the "Wizard of the South?"
« on: Friday 04 November 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Found a relation on a distant branch of my family tree, Clara Davie, living in Aberdeen (St Nicholas) in the 1861 census. She is with her grandmother Maria Reid. Visiting at the same house is James Reid, aged 32, born Kircudbrightshire (Urr) occupation "Wizard of the South" and Margaret Reid, 35, occupation "Wizard's wife"!
Has anyone heard of them before? Would be grateful for any info!
Jim W.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who was James Reid the "Wizard of the South?"
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I think they were travelling alchemist or herbists (quacks by another name)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BizzyMom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Spitting image of my Mum, an ancestor (Foulis)
    • View Profile
Re: Who was James Reid the "Wizard of the South?"
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
I have a James Reid born 1825 in Dalry, Scotland on my tree.  He married Margaret (unknown maiden name) and they had two children:  Lilias and Marrion - I wonder if it's the same ppl you are referring too.  I do not have a lot of info, but if you are willing to share what you have I'd appreciate it.
Regards Audrey (BizzyMom)
Broadfoot, Shaw, Millar, Cooper, Hawkins, Harvey, Watson, Cowan, McGeoch, Gracie, Hill, Gray, Cameron, Foulis, Wykes, Lang, Montgomery, McKellar, Hanson, Jackson, Magee, Neisham, Adamson, Adamson, Allen, Anderson, Barnborough, Bell, Boyle, Bradley,  Brand, Brooks, Broom, Browning, Charnley, Craig, Creasey, Ebbs, Hanson, Lang, McGeoch, McKellar, Millar, Nisbet, Owens, Patterson, Rodger, Russell, Van der Merwe, Van Rensburg