Author Topic: Census Lookup for Gordon/Charters/Taylor  (Read 4542 times)

Offline geniesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Census Lookup for Gordon/Charters/Taylor
« on: Sunday 06 November 05 11:25 GMT (UK) »
HI

Looking for the parents of Thomas Gordon and also his wife Isabella Charters they were married in 1826, Blamaghie, kirkudbright, I know of one daughter Jessie Gordon who married John Garside Taylor in 1850 in Blamaghie, I know that Jessie and John Taylor left Scotland for Liverpool, they had a son John George Taylor in 1854 John the father died not long after and Jessie left with her infant son aboard the 'Black Eagle'
bound for Australia.

I would love to be able to find any information on any of these family members within Scotland. Possibly census lookups?

Many Thanks
JO

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup for Gordon/Charters/Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 05 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo from another Jo

If you look at the 1851 census for Balmaghie, household number 2/2 looks likely for your family:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx

There is a Thomas Gordon and wife Isabella and lots of children!

From it you can find out that Thomas was born in Tongland about 1788 and Isabella in Balmaghie about 1808, so that should help with finding their parents too. If an Isabella Charters was born around that year, it looks likely. You may also find a gravestone for the family in the Balmaghie MIs which mentions Isabella's maiden name, and then you can be pretty sure it is the right family.

Someone may be able to do a lookup for you sooner than I can, but if not, let me know and I will have a look at the parish registers and MIs when next in Edinburgh

Jo

Offline kobeboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup for Gordon/Charters/Taylor
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jo.

My name is Scott and Thomas Gordon and Isabella Charters are my great great great grandparents.  My family line follows down through their daughter Isabella Harriet (Harriet on 1851 census).    She married John Sutherland of Rogart Sutherland Scotland in 1872.   They came to Australia (where I live) in 1848 onboard a ship called 'Aurora".
I to would love to know more about this family within Scotland.  I am also happy to share what I know of my line with you if you are interested in information sharing.  Would also like to know how you are connected into this family.

Best Regards,

Scott Lees.