Author Topic: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON  (Read 16901 times)

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON
« on: Sunday 29 August 04 17:01 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else interested in Pickering families from Londonderry? Also Wilson, and possibly Lavender.
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 06 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hiya foxglove,

When would these families have been living in Derry?
The 1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster lists two Wilsons.

Wilson, J & R, corn and general merchants, and agents for the Standard Life Assurance Company, Foyle Street
William Wilson, Ulster Arms Hotel, Foyle Street

All the Best, Christopher

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher,
Many thanks for your reply to my query.

My 3rd g. grandmother Matilda Wilson was born about 1793 at Aughrim, Woods Chapel, Londonderry.
I have no other information about her Wilson family.

She and her husband came to Canada in 1847.

I will keep a note of the Wilsons you found for me as it is always possible they are in some way related.

Thanks again,
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have just started doing my husbands side of the family, I have William Henry Pickering married to

Ellen Stewart  09 Jan 1907 at Bellaghy Co Londonderry, wonder if you would know anything about

this side.

Regards Helen
Dewar, Simpson, Wood, Pickering, Kennedy, Duff,Craig,Kidd, Martin, Moor,Reid, Pringle,McWatt.Taylor,McKillop.Paton,Porter,Prop,Ramsey,Stewart,Watson.
Perthshire. Midlothian ,Glasgow, Fife, Perthshire, Roxbugh, Middlesex.

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen,
Judging by the map it looks as though your Pickerings were quite likely connected to mine at some point.
My family left the Aughrim area (due east of Magherafelt and  directly south of Castledawson) in 1847.
My 3rd great grandfather was a William Pickering.
His son Francis was my 2nd great grandfather.
Francis had a brother, Robert, who went to Scotland in the mid-1850's instead of going to Canada with the rest of the family.
If you can find out more about previous generations in your line, we may be able to connect them.
I am also in touch with someone who is from a Pickeram family from the Tillinkissey/Magherafelt area.
We believe the spelling may be different but they are probably from the same family.
From the IGI, there appears to have been 3 Pickering men in that area, back in the early 1700's.
Hope this is of some interest.
Regards,
Foxglove

Offline waynebrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 01:22 BST (UK) »
Foxglove,
I have a Matilda Wilson in my tree married to a James McGauchie McGachie McGeachie and other variations.  Just mentioning in case it is a match.  I couldn't find any information regarding death or marriage so it is a possibility they went to Canada.  I believe she was from Londonderry.  Let me know if yours might have married a James McGauchie.
Wayne

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne,
My Matilda Wilson married William Pickering.
William was born 1789 at Aughrim, Woods Chapel, Londonderry.
It is believed that Matilda Wilson was born at the same location about 1793, but I have no further information about her family.
Their first child was born in 1815 so it is not likely that Matilda had a previous marriage.
I checked at www.familysearch.org and see that there are not many entires for the name McGauchie/McGachie/McGeachie in Ireland.
It I do run across anything in the future I will let you know.
Regards,
Carol.

Offline amcgauchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you saw the reply to this.  for some reason I was notified that it had been transferred to Down, Ireland.  I have information regarding the McGauchies going to Dumfries, Scotland.  That seems to be the main place for them and they are still there.  John McGauchie married Ann Smith. He was born in Down Ireland but married in Dumfries.  Their sons were - William b 1823, Joseph b 1825, Robert b 1836 all of whom stayed in Dumfries.  This may be of interest to you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
Andrea- I moved your post to Co. Down board since your James McGauchie was born in Co., Down and had moved to Scotland and I could see no Co, Derry connection.

Wayne- do you have any idea of date for Matilda Wilson's marriage? Wilson is a very common Ulster surname but I can't see any record of the marriage in Co. Derry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!