Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90788 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
Not directly in tree but living at same address
1948 to 1950 my father Eric macdermid lived as a student in a house called Mendips in Liverpool

His landlady Mimi SMITH was a real character little did "mac" know that her youg nephew John would become famous.

After my father and john Lennon died researchers for a film trcked down students who.d lived there for personal memories to contribute to a film being made about John LENNON s early life.
Though I knew a few stories about the landlady he never mentioned the live in nephew .

& he never recognised the grown up BEATLE as the boy who'd impresed himso much by quickly learning two tunes on his  harmonica  that he bought him his own for Christmas.I had to read that anecdote in a book.

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
Mimble - you might find this link of interest, then:

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A52526.0001.001/1:9.2.1?rgn=div3;view=fulltext

It takes you to a transcript of a full account of the trial of Francis Hacker, who signed the warrant after Huncks refused, and contains Hacker's evidence of what happened in the chamber that day, along with some evidence from Huncks, and the reference to Cromwell calling him a "froward, peevish fellow".

Enjoy!
Thanks brigidmac that's wonderful!
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
Not famous but interesting:

Sir John Stafford I of Southwick.  In 1389 members of the Cornish gentry ‘set themselves in armed array to kill him, assaulted him, and shot him with a certain engine called a "gunne" so that his life was despaired of’.

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/stafford-sir-humphrey-i-1413

Apparently he survived and lived until 1413.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Mimble - you might find this link of interest, then:

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A52526.0001.001/1:9.2.1?rgn=div3;view=fulltext

It takes you to a transcript of a full account of the trial of Francis Hacker, who signed the warrant after Huncks refused, and contains Hacker's evidence of what happened in the chamber that day, along with some evidence from Huncks, and the reference to Cromwell calling him a "froward, peevish fellow".

Enjoy!
Thanks brigidmac that's wonderful!

Actually,  Mimble, it was me that posted it ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Jb and mimble I thought I was being thanked for posting an interesting story ha ha

Heres another : fame by close contact

Full page of a liverpool newspaper
"Death of Famous Argyle Figure ...she dressed the stars "
(worked at old argyll theatre)

Grandads half sister .mrs Hetty DAULMAN
Came into contact with the grearest variety stars of two generations

I havent heard of most of them Vesta Tilley.Marie Lloyd. Harry Lauder .Hetty King.George Formby Constance Collier.

Apparently she looked after some of the artistes babies when they were on stage too

She had a suitcase of ,500 ,signed photographs of stars

Unfortunately this valuable treasure was lost by family members who decluttered

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Thursday 03 September 20 08:39 BST (UK) »
Oops, so sorry jbml! Thanks so much for the transcript, much appreciated. And thanks for posting your interesting stories, brigidmac :)

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Thursday 03 September 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
I think the most well known that could be a relative is Walter sisulu. His dad was Albert dickenson. The connection is that alberts dad was Alfred and his mum was Agnes vann. Agnes's family trace back to a village called misterton in Leicestershire, as does my vann line. Other people's trees have them related, but they have my relatives parents as Richard and Elizabeth vann. The problem is that the baptism record actually says William and Elizabeth. To compound the problem is that my relative was living in sharnford at time of marriage and I can see burials there for a William and Elizabeth, but he is listed at Richards house on the 1841 census, so not entirely sure where this leaves things at the moment on that line.

Jon

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Friday 04 September 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Mimble - I've just been consulting my copy of "England's Black Tribunal" (6th edition, 1737) and found the transcript of the warrant at pages 45 - 6.

It reads as follows:

At the High Court of Justice for the Trying and Judging of Charles Stewart, King of England, January 29. 1648.

Whereas Charles Stuart, King of England, is, and standeth Convicted, Attainted and Condemned of High Treason, and other High Crimes, and Sentence upon Saturday last was pronounced against Him by this Court, to be put to Death by the severing of his Head from his Body; of which Sentence, Execution remains yet to be done: These are therefore to Will and Require you to see the said Sentence Executed in the open street before Whitehall, upon the Morrow, being the 30th day of this Instant Month of January, between the Hours of Ten in the Morning, and Five in the Afternoon of the same Day, with full Effect: and for so doing, this shall be your Warrant. And these are to require all Officers and Soldiers, and other the good People of this Nation of England, to be assisting unto you in this Service.

Given under our Hands and Seals.

To Col. Francis Hacker, Col. Hunks, and Lieutenant Col. Phray, and to every of them:

Sealed and subscribed by

J. Bradshaw, T. Grey, O. Cromwell, Ed. Whaley, M. Livesey, J. Okey, J. Danvers, R. Bourchier, H. Ireton, T. Maleverer, [and 49 other regicides]

To find your ancestor named in one of the most notorious documents in England's entire history, nay, to have it actually ADDRESSED to him and two others ... well ... that's quite something!!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Friday 04 September 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
Mvann what wàs Albert Dickensian famous for
& Did you  find out who the famous/wealthy  Leicester Quaker who lived at Stoughton Court was?

Apparently tho teetotal he made his money from the alcohol trade .
Then in his will banned any  drinking establishments being built on his land ( which included Allendale road area) for 100  years

Was he one of your relatives ??