Author Topic: GEDcoms and Family tree maker 2005  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
GEDcoms and Family tree maker 2005
« on: Saturday 12 November 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Is there a family tree maker expert out there?
Occasionally I see opportunities to load my tree onto the web and thus potentially find info about my ancestors. (e.g. ancestry.co.uk, genesreuntied, tribal pages and so on)

when I last did this, I imagined that the gedcom file was just the basic names and dates and was surprised to discover all my notes and references were included, including notes from conversations with elderly living relatives.

does anyone know a way of doing a "skeleton" gedcom file with Family tree maker 2005?
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GEDcoms and Family tree maker 2005
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas

Not sure if this will help.

In FTM2005, open the tree you want to use, go to Contents (drop down menu), and there is an option Items to include in each box. This allows you to specify what information the tree should show. You should then be able to save that tree to export it.

Hope this helps

Nadine
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 19:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply I tried it but only works with tree view.  Then I select what I want included but can only save tree as pdf. If I want to do GEDCOM, I get the option of selecting which individuals to include but not which information on those individuals to include. Maybe the version I have is too basic. But thanks for taking the trouble to reply at least I learnt something new about creating trees.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas

I use FTM version 10 and uploaded my tree to Genes Reunited and it only had the basic info on it.  I cannot off hand remember how I did that or it may be default.  Must check that next time I send a gedcom off to rellies!  I usually send the word and outline doc anyway so they get the full info.

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 20:38 GMT (UK) »
My problem arose on Tribalpages -after seeing all my personal notes and comments there, I didn't want to risk it on GenesReunited. Fortunately on tribal pages you can restrict viewing tree by having a visitor password

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas

When you have created your tree, can you save it as follows:

File, Export File, Copy/Export Individuals in ?.?.?. Tree. (?.?.?. is whichever tree you are using)

This brings up another box headed "Export Individuals in ?.?.?. Tree". You should then be able to choose where you want to . tree, a name for your tree, and use the 'save as type' drop down to select GEDCOM.

Click Save, and another box should appear headed "Export to GEDCOM".

Click OK (I do not change any of these settings) and your GEDCOM should be saved.

If you want some screen shots of the boxes/screens you hopefully should be getting, PM me with you email address and i'll send something to you.

Good Luck

Nadine
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Cedas

Forgot to mention, whichever tree you create you can use the Contents/Items to include in each box, and then add or remove info as necessary.

The steps in my previous email should also work with the File/Export File/Entire File as well

Nadine

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a go over the weekend when I have a bit more time - thanks for the offer of the screenshots - that might be very useful