Author Topic: Professor John Pearson Luker of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 4797 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Professor John Pearson Luker of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Saturday 12 November 05 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Where can I find a hoto or picture or any information on my great great grandfather John Pearson Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire - he taught Captain Webb to swam across the CHannel. Professor Luker's children Kate and Hagar, I guessed, they were stars of swimming shows at oublic baths in Tunbridge Wells.

I am also looking for any picture or photos of the public bath/ swimming pool building in Tunbridge Wells - perhaps old adverts in newspaper or directory.

THank you
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Professor John Pearson Luker of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 05 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Put "John Pearson Luker" into Google in quotes and you will bring up the Luker family history.  No photograph buts lots of information.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Dover Museum have a channel swimming collection:

http://www.dover.gov.uk/museum/resource/swim/swim1.asp

You could also try the local studies sections at Tunbridge Wells and Dover libraries:

http://www.kent.gov.uk/e&l/artslib/reference/localstudies.html

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 05 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Put "John Pearson Luker" into Google in quotes and you will bring up the Luker family history.  No photograph buts lots of information.

David

That's my distant cousin's website! THanks anyway.

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 05 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Dover Museum have a channel swimming collection:

http://www.dover.gov.uk/museum/resource/swim/swim1.asp

You could also try the local studies sections at Tunbridge Wells and Dover libraries:

http://www.kent.gov.uk/e&l/artslib/reference/localstudies.html

Casalguidi

Thank you very much - thats really useful. I hope I have some answers from them soon.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
You can see a postcard view of the Monson Baths in the collection of Tunbridge Wells postcards on the Anke blog website. Its a view of the front of the building from the road and the building says "Monson Baths" on its sign.

Also in the book by Rowlands and Beavis published 1991 (available form the T. Wells Library or the museum) are three photographs on pages 90 to 92. One shows the interior of the Monson Baths and the other two of the open air baths. The open air baths were in the Grosvenor Recreation Ground which opened in 1873 which remained popular and continued in use until 1942.It was 88 yards in length and was once claimed to be the largest open-air pool in the south of England.Its depth of water was 3' to 10' deep.The pool was originally a reservoir belonging to the Calverley Water Works Company.  The pool closed 1948 and finally filled in 6 years later. It was closed because it was declared " a danger to health and too expensive top renovate".The obituary for John Pearson Luker(1838-1915) published in the T. Wells Courier states "he was a highly experienced swimmer and instructed thousands in the art (of swimming). He lately had given lessons at the Tunbridge Wells open baths. His illness hastened only a fortnight and his death was due to influenza and phemonia. Prof. Lukers daughter Miss Annie Luker has followed in her fathers footsteps and has become quite as famous as he was.He was a professor of swimming".

The Monson baths was an indoor swimming pool on Monson Raod.It was constructed by Tunbridge Wells Council to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee(1897).It was 90 feet long with water depth of 3' to 6'-6".Mayor Charles Fletcher Lutwidge laid the foundation stone. The baths opened to the public in 1898. The baths were demolished 1974 to make way for a new office building. it was replaced that year by a new swimming pool on St John's Road.

I would be interested to known from you details about the career of John Pearson Luker in the period before he moved to Tunbridge Wells. He is found in the T.Wells census records of 1881 to 1911 and the 1871 census at Abington,Berkshire has him there as a professor of swimming.I would also be interested in family photos, especially of John Pearson Luker. A photo of his daughtet Miss Annie Luker ( born Hagar A Luker) is on the internet. Also what can you tell me about "Annies" marriage to Frederick William Parker(born 1865 at Woodfor,Essex). I have his family information but the last census for him and his wife Annie (given in the 1891 census as Hagar Anne Parker has them at Westminster, St Margaret and St John the Evangelist,Westminster. I loose all track of them after 1891. Cant find a marriage records for them or death information or any census after 1891.Did they have any children? Any help appreciated.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention that the location of the open air baths at the Grosvenor grounds is shown on the 1907 Ordinance Survey map. The Tunbridge Wells library should have a copy of it for you and can send you a scan of it.

Offline farlington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
British Newspaper Archive
The Kent and Sussex Courier (which includes Tunbridge Wells) editions are now online for dates 1873 - 1939. a quick search throws up his name.  Its a subscription site, but i believe that it can be accessed for free in UK through your local library.

farlington

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
To Farlington

I didn't know that. Can you give me details on how to subscribe (email address or website etc).This will be better for me than having to bother the staff at the library for lookups.