Author Topic: 1841 census look-up please CHAPMAN & HOBBS - Stanford Dingley  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Broadwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Broadwood & Sons....Makers of my piano.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look-up please CHAPMAN & HOBBS - Stanford Dingley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Well Katie......I'm so glad you haven't changed your email address since your last post 5 years ago!

From the censuses I knew about Hannah's 2 marriages and Henry Hobbs living with his half brother George Chapman by 1861 at the age of 14.

By 1871 Henry had moved to Marylebone (London) presumably for work as he was then lodging with the Olds. By 1881 Henry Hobbs was married to Elizabeth (Smith), had had 3 children and had moved to Willesden (NW London). Their eldest child Hypatica (b.1873) still lived in Willesden when she died in 1967. I knew her for the last 10 years of her life. She had married William Beaver about 1895. My grandfather Frederick was their 3rd child born in 1900 and died in 1991. My father Martin (b.1931, d.2003) moved from London to North Staffordshire with his job in 1960, and that is where I still live today. I have a son aged 29 and two grandsons aged 5 and 0.5 who are therefore also distant relatives of yours Katie.

Anyway Katie, you still living local to Stanford Dingley, will probably know far more than I do about Hannah and her life in Berkshire.
Beaver, Hobbs, Andrew, Anguelu, Troughton, Walford,

Offline kactaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
My GGrandfather was Edwin Hobbs-Chapman  born in bristol, 1863 father was John Chapman born in Timberscombe  (i think) don't know where the "Hobbs" came from... any links ???

Offline katietk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there....I'm not sure if your Ggrandfather is related as the Edwin (Hobbs?-)Chapman in my family tree was born in Stanford Dingley in Berkshire.  Here is the info from the 1851 census:

Stanford Dingley Dist 6
HO107/1691  FOLIO 146  PAGE 3

Joseph HOBBS, Head, 31, Journeyman Tanner
Hannah HOBBS, Wife, 41,  , b Pewsey Wilts
Henry HOBBS, Son, 4
Charles HOBBS, Son, 2
Ann HOBBS, Daur, 11m
Thomas CHAPMAN, Stepson, 15, Blacksmith
Marth CHAPMAN, Stepdaur, 12
Albert CHAPMAN, Stepson, 10
Edwin CHAPMAN, Stepson, 8

This would make Edwin Chapman's birth year as 1843 and his father was George Chapman.  George Chapman died and then Hannah his wife remarried, Joseph Hobbs.  They went on to have 3 children together.  There is a small chance that Edwin took the Hobbs with Chapman as his own since he is the youngest of the Chapman children however I haven't researched him in later census records to confirm this.

I would suggest you obtain a copy of your Ggrandad's birth certificate as this will confirm the facts either way.

Good luck, regards
Katie