Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 4238 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What does this mean?
« on: Monday 14 November 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My paternal grandfather was a dispenser in the RAMC on board the hospital ship Lanfranc in the eastern Mediterranean. I have a number of photographs taken during his time there, sadly mostly without helpful writing on the back :( However  a tiny one of an encampment of tents states it is 36th Stationary I P somewhere in Palestine - anyone know what this means?
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jan!

I don't know if you have this information already .... !

http://www.bluestarline.org/booth/lanfranc2.html

Official statement of the British Admiralty:
 On April 17,1917 ,after the loss of HMHS Donegal and HMHS Lanfranc, the Admiralty decided to make a summary of  the attacks on hospital ships. A quite long statement was issued presenting the evidence case by case. The concluding paragraph stated the following:

"In the light of the recent events it seems reasonable to suppose that the hospital ships Braemar Castle and Britannic were also torpedoed in Nov.1916,although the evidence at the time was not considered conclusive as to whether their loses were occasioned by mines or torpedo"

[Source: The War On Hospital Ships (1917)]

Maybe - give you a starting point!

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Annie :D. I have seen that site before it is very interesting - I'm even lucky enough to have the top postcard of the Lanfranc with notes on the back written by my grandfather Oct 31st/Nov 1st 1915 when the arrived at the Dardenelles to pick up 400 wounded. Don't think he was still aboard when the ship was torpedoed as I also have a letter dated 14th Oct 1916 written by his commanding officer recommending him and saying he is sad to lose him. Unfortunately no idea who he was sad to lose him to :(
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 12:19 GMT (UK) »
A Google for
"36th Stationary"
(with the quotes) gets a few hits.

It seems that it was a Hospital set up in Gaza.

I could well be wrong but I suspect that 'Stationary' referred to the fact that it was established (either in a permanent building or as an encampment) and remained in one place vis-a-vis a hospital which moved forward as the troops advanced, and back as troops retreated ...

JAP

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jap. Now why on earth didn't I think to google it :-[ Your explanation of Stationary makes sense and it being a hospital it might be where he moved to from the Lanfranc. Any ideas as to what I P stands for  ??? Will go and google.
Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Ah, I would have said had I had any idea about the I P!!  I couldn't find anything.  I wonder if might stand for something as simple as In Palestine!

JAP

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP
I did wonder about it being In Palestine, also thought about I ??? Post but cannot think what the I could stand for. Googling has thrown up absolutely nothing, guess it will have to remain a mystery. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline liveunlimited

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 05 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found this forum. My Grandfather also served on the HMHS Lanfranc as 5th Engineer right up to when it was sunk on 17 Apr 1917. Unfortunately I do not know when he commenced his service as his original Certificate of Discharge was lost with the ship. Do you have any information as to crew lists etc. Any information yuou have would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

David

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 05 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Welcome to Rootschat  :D At the moment I have no more info than I've mentioned here. If I find anything else out will let you know. I do have few very faded photos onboard Lanfranc if you send me a Personal Message with your email I could send you copies.
Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale