Author Topic: Please can you help ?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline J1507

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Please can you help ?
« on: Monday 14 November 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all that responded to my last letter.

I am looking for Sarah Bogue maiden name Dalgliesh she I think married in Canada to ? Bogue then married John Rae also I think married in Canada Sarah and John married February 26th 1869 in G**LPH (not sure as I can't read the place name) and returned back to Scotland ( Hawick.) I need to know John's parents names and Sarah Dalgliesh and or Bogue 1st Husband from a marriage certificate. Is this possible and can you help me ?
 I thank you for taking time to read mail. Regards Jim Foster

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Please can you help ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I'm going to guess that the place is Guelph which is in the County of Wellington, Province of Ontario.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I was just going to say the same thing, but Karen beat me to it  ;)  Definitely looks like Guelph. 

Here is the Wellington County GenWeb page, with lots of links for you to peruse.  http://www.rootsweb.com/~onwellin/

What is the source of the marriage record you have?  If it is an entry from the civil registrations it should include parents names. 

Unfortunately, Sarah's marriage to Mr. Bogue would be before civil BMD registration started in 1869, so it might be difficult to find.  Since not everyone was the same religion, we don't have the handy parish system where you can just order up the parish registers and find everyone in the village.  There are church records for the time, but they are not kept in one place, nor are most of them on-line.  There is a section on church records on the Wellington GenWeb, so maybe they will have some insight. 

As eillo said in response to your last post, the 1871 census has a heads-of-household index that is on-line, but there are several John Raes.  Perhaps now that you know they were married in Guelph it might help you narrow it down.  To see the whole census entry, which would list the other members of the household you would need to order the microfilm on inter-library loan from Library and Archives Canada.  There was also a census taken in 1861, if you think she was here then.  But it is not indexed, so you would have to know exactly where she was living. 

The 1881 census is available for free online at http://www.familysearch.org - I'm not sure if she was still here then. 

Good luck!

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I am confused. Your threads have several  different names,
so am trying to figure out which person you are looking for...
While looking for your original thread I found another...

this one says her name is Sarah Bogue...but another says Frances..?

If it is Frances, this is from the I.G.I. :
FRANCES DALGLEISH  married a WILLIAM BOGUE 
  Marriage:  16 MAR 1860   Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com