Author Topic: Researching family in Copenhagen  (Read 2411 times)

Offline johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Researching family in Copenhagen
« on: Wednesday 01 September 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
                     My great grandfather was born in Copenhagen in 1846.   His name was  Peter Jensen and all I know is that his father was a farmer. He later changed this to Johnson when he settled in Liverpool, the earliest date I can trace him there is 1868. Does anyone know of any resources available for researching in Copenhagen?
                            Johnson

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Researching family in Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 04 12:53 BST (UK) »
Do you have any Jensen's in Wales? I am asking as I am currently corresponding with a lady from Australia with regards to the surname Jensen / Jenson via the Swansea Rootsweb mailing list.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 04 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Johnson,

I have moved your topic to Immigrants as there are more likely to be people here to help you when they see your posting. 

In the mean-time investigate some of the links in this forum,  I am sorry I cannot help more.

The only one I can contribute is RootsWebs Denmark/Copenhagan board:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.scan-balt.denmark.counties.kobenhavn

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 04 22:19 GMT (UK) »
There isn't, as far as I know, any Danish BMD and census data on-line yet; each area of Denmark has its own regional archive, so you have to go in person. The LDS Family history centres microfilmed these records back in the 1950s., so they could be ordered via them.

These archives are pretty extensive, and census data goes well back into the 18th century. To this day, the BMD registration is done by the Danish State Church i.e. by the local priest, whether or not you're a member.

The problem, though, is that it's not enough to be able to read Danish - you also have to be able to read Gothic handwriting once you go more than a100 years back. My Danish father-in-law spent a year going to evening classes just to learn to read the handwriting, and gave up.

best of luck,
David Douglas

(Scottish, in Denmark since 1984)
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon