Author Topic: Dulmage Family  (Read 7129 times)

Offline tigerbelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Its a joy to find new family and friends
    • View Profile
Dulmage Family
« on: Saturday 19 November 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Anyone doing any research on the Dulmage family originating from Germany in the 1700's
Also the name Swetzer, both were some kind of German Immigrants to Ireland.

Thanks
Walters, Jolien Henri born 1817
McCance, Rees, Lording, Langley, Jennings, Harry, Cadieux, Fitzgibbon

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dulmage Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
You may already know about the Palatines - but if not, this site is v.useful.
The two names you mention are listed here, with links to more info, so you may strike lucky!

Cheers
Mags

http://www.irishpalatines.org/palfams.html

Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline HowardRayLawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 December 05 01:16 GMT (UK) »
 :)These are definitely Irish Palatines from Limerick to the American Colonies.  And, there are intertwined marriages with SWITZER and LAWRENCE. Supported The Crown, and were exiled to Upper Canada at the time of The American Revolution. They were bringers of Methodism to The American Colonies and Upper Canada.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 December 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas Tigerbelle,  8)

I looked at one site covering the period 1848 - 1864 (Griffiths Valuation of Ireland). The name Dulmage is not mentioned nor is it mentioned on the Irish Ancestors Surname Search site. Many of the Palatines in Ireland, dissatisfied with conditions which they found returned home. went to London or emigrated to America within a couple of years of their arrival in Ireland

Chris

Offline HowardRayLawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 December 05 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Irish Palatines left for The American Colonies before The American Revolution.

John Lawrence, Sr.  m. 1775, New York, Margaret Switzer.
Their child, John Lawrence, Jr. m. Margaret Dulmage.
Another of their children, Agnes Lawrence m. Samuel Dulmage.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/Garden/4972/lawrence1.html Broken Link

LAWRENCE
From Nancy Williams:

From the book "History of New Oswegatchie and the Blue Church Cemetery 1780-1986" by Edwin A. Livingston:

John Lawrence (1742-1822) or (1756-1832) and his wife Margaret (1744-1807) are both buried there. Margaret was a widow of Philip Embury when she married John Lawrence. Her maiden name was Switzer. John Lawrence was born in Ireland of Palatine ancestry. He came to America with the Hecks and the Emburys. He left the U.S. for Canada in 1775 as a Loyalist. First he settled in Montreal where he was in the Commissary Dept. Then he settled in Augusta Township in 1785. Their four children were:
Elizabeth - married Robert Bickam of Wolford
Rebecca - married David Breakenridge Jr.
Agnes - married Samuel Dulmage
John

John Sr.'s dates may be wrong if the following is correct:
In Death Notices of Ontario by William D. Reid - from the Christian Guardian 1829-1835 - page 74

March 14, 1832
"In Edwardsburgh on Friday evening, 24th inst., John Lawrence, Sr., in the 76th year of his age. He came into Upper Canada in the year 1786 as a U.E. Loyalist and partollk of all the privations and hardships of the first settlers of this Province. He married the widow of the late Rev. Mr. Emory from the North of Ireland, the first Methodist Preacher that ever landed and formed a church at New York. His mother is still living in Kamaraska, L.C. [lower Canada = Quebec] aged 103 years (Grenville Gazette)"

In William Reid's "The Loyalists in Ontario - the Sons and Daughters of the American Loyalists in Upper Canada" I found:
Dulmage - Margaret, baptised March 11, 1792 married John Lawrence Jr. of Edwardsburgh.

And from "Leeds and Grenville - the first two hundred years" by Ruth McKenzie, page 78:

" Among the first [settlers] were the Methodists. Paul and Barbara Heck with their sons, along with John Lawrence, his wife (the former Margaret Switzer Embury) and their son Samuel Embury, settled in the Maynard area on the third concession of Augusta, in 1785. Twenty years earlier, Barbara Heck and Philip Embury had founded the first Methodist church in North America. Barbara Heck was born in Ireland in 1734. She and her husband, the Emburys and other Palatine Methodists, had gone to New York from Limerick, Ireland in 1760. Philip Embury had been their religious leader in Ireland, but in New York the people had drifted away and religious services were no longer held." Barbara Heck went to Philip Embury and pleaded with him to become their religious leader again.

"Soon after a congregation of five met in the Embury house to hear Philip preach. The members were his wife Margaret, Paul and Barbara Heck, John Lawrence and the Heck's servant..... The congregation increased in numbers and a few years later built the first Methodist chapel in America.
When the American Revolutionary War broke out, the Hecks and Emburys were living in Washington County, New York. Philip Embury died in 1775 as the result of an accident while mowing hay with a scythe. The rest of the family with the Hecks and John Lawrence left their prosperous farms and made their way to Montreal, where they remained for the duration of the war. In 1785 they decided to join some of their Loyalist friends who had settled in Augusta. By this time, Philip Embury's widow, Margaret, had become Mrs. John Lawrence."

Offline mawaltho

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 07 04:35 BST (UK) »
It may help to note that the name was spelled also as DALMAGE,DOLMAGE,DELMEGE,DULMAGE. Palatine refugees   one lot went to Rathkeale, Co. Limerick as tenants of Ld Southwell and others. Another branch went directly to North America, settling in what is now  New York State. Many migrated to Can ada after the Revolution to what is now Eastern  Ontario. I apologize if I am telling you what you already know.
SIMPSON ABD;PATRICK,LIM/TIP;THOMPSON,FER;BARRINGTON,LIM;WALTHO,LIM; ALTIMUS,FER; BEACOM,FER; BLACKHALL,DEV to LIM.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 07 05:02 BST (UK) »
It may help to note that the name was spelled also as DALMAGE,DOLMAGE,DELMEGE,DULMAGE. Palatine refugees   one lot went to Rathkeale, Co. Limerick as tenants of Ld Southwell and others. Another branch went directly to North America, settling in what is now  New York State. Many migrated to Can ada after the Revolution to what is now Eastern  Ontario. I apologize if I am telling you what you already know.

Hello mawaltho,

Are there any clearly defined Palatine name changes in the same way that there are changes for the Huguenots?

Chris.

Offline mawaltho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
While I don`t ignore name mutations, it is not anarea of expertise for me . I can only talk about the Irish branch with some surety.I am working from a study done by Arthur Henry Delmege of Detroit in the late 80s It was twice revised before his death and I do not have those
  He goes back to Leonburg,Hofingen and Marburg and others in the Wurttemburg and Swabia regions. Before that it gets misty. Take your pick
DOLMETSCH somewhere in Eastern Europe, created by the Turks in their push westward fromthe word Dolme "to change"="translator...in Polish THUMACZand Hungarian TOLMCZS
SIMPSON ABD;PATRICK,LIM/TIP;THOMPSON,FER;BARRINGTON,LIM;WALTHO,LIM; ALTIMUS,FER; BEACOM,FER; BLACKHALL,DEV to LIM.

Offline mawaltho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 07 15:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry I must be too wordy and after all that the name entered High German asTOLLMETSCHE                                                                                         I will list the various Palatine families who intermarried with D family:LORENTZ,EMBURY,HECK, CORNEILLE,TESKEY/TESHEY.                                                                    After 1820 they married "out' more frequently .     I trust that I have not bored you with all this and that inall the dross you may uncover a small nugget