Author Topic: London Newspapers in 1823  (Read 49317 times)

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
London Newspapers in 1823
« on: Tuesday 22 November 05 21:04 GMT (UK) »
What newspapers in London in 1823 published Obituaries?
Is it possible to make a check of such records for 19-27 January 1823&

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Newspapers in 1823
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 00:05 GMT (UK) »
There were a <i>lot</i> of newspapers in London, from the big ones (like The Times) to little local papers covering just certain areas or aimed at certain markets.  I tried searching the British Library newspaper catalogue for newspapers in London existing in 1823 and came up with 87 hits.   It's certainly possible to search all of these on microfilm at the BL for the dates you mention (presuming they all have copies for those dates, some might be missing), but that would be very time consuming.

Who is the person you're looking for? (I have access to The Times archive online, which is not indexed but relies on OCR to do text searches).  You never know, you might get lucky.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, jorose,

I am looking for Victor TOLOUBEOFF (he could be also written down as TOLOUBEIFF, TOLOUBIEV and may be some other variations).
He was Russian-born and died on January 19, 1823 (Sunday),  at the premises of Imperial Russian Embassy (I presume). He was interred next Saturday, so it makes 25 January, 1823.
If you have access to The Times archive on-lime, maybe there will be article (I have one, but cannot locate the newsapaper and the date) about Russian cadet studying at the Royal Naval College at Portsmouth. On my oppinion it should be somewhere in 1817-1819.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I find nothing in The Times related to the names and events you have mentioned.  Sorry.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seamike,

As far as I know once you step foot within the grounds/buildings of an Embassy you are on a little bit of that country's soil.  In other words whatever happens within those walls comes under the jurisdiction of that country and not the hosts.  It could be that his death was never recorded as being on British soil.  I might be wrong but it's just a thought.

Anna :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Anna,

And if his parents father was Russian and mother was English?
The Russian Chapel of Imperial Russian Embassy situated at that time on Clifford street. What is at this place now? Are there any cemetries nearby?

Mike

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seamike,

I found this link, not much info though but worth a look.

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesen/news05/london.html

Was his father attached to the Embassy?  If Victor died at the Embassy I presume he came under Russian juristiction/laws.  Diplomats have a completely different set of rules then the average joe public!

I don't think being half English would have made a difference as he was born in Russia, they probably didn't have dual nationality in those days. 

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Anna,

As I understand from my story, Victors' death should not had been recorded at the Russian Embassy, and even maybe his death should had been unnoticed for public.
So, maybe to put the question that way: what were the acting cemetries nearby to the Clifford Street at that time.

Mike

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

It seems that public cemeteries were first opened in 1827.  If Clifford Street (or nearby areas) come under the City of London then you can search an online database:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/JAS/lma/lma.htm

You could try googling Russian Chapel london or any other variations in that theme to find out more on its history.

Another general info link is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/cem.html

I will have another look at my sources tonight for you.