Author Topic: O'HARA/TAYLOR/SMITH/MCTAGGART family - Glasgow  (Read 14666 times)

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'HARA/TAYLOR/SMITH/MCTAGGART/ FAMILY GLASGOW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 November 05 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Got Roseann O'Hara's  parentage from her death certificate, it is quite clear regarding parentage and also has marriage date. The other Roseann who married william smith is actually older and not in the age group that i am looking for.
Regarding Robert, Neil and John McTaggart, they are the children of Duncan McTaggart and Rosie O'Hara all validated by birth certs.
Malcolm McTaggart and Jane McKean are my great great grandparents, they had children Duncan, Mary, Roseann and Oneay.
The Duncan McTaggart and Rose O'Hara were Malcolm,s parents and thus are my great great great grandparents.
Hope this makes sense.
From what family have told me most of the McTaggart,s from anderston, tradeston are interrelated and thus makes it more confusing in terms of christian names. all of the christian names are still present within my family to date even though we are about 180years on.
brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane,

Have just spent about two hours typing a reply with information for you and have managed to lose it somehow before I was able to send.

Basic bones are that the family Liz found in 1861 are yours (the census address was 7 oxford Lane) and Rose did go on to marry William Smith in 1865. The three children, Neil, Robert and John (plus another  called Angus) all died before 1861, which is why they are not in the census.

Duncan and Rose were both born Argyllshire. 1861 census gives Islay for both, though 1881 says Rose (Ann) was from Cambeltown. Malcolm also appears to have been born on Islay (per 1861 and 1891 census), though the 1881 says he was born in Glasgow.

I will send another post with more details when I get more time.
Regards,
Isobel

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 December 05 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Well done Isobel, mystery solved.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 December 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel,
Thanks for your help, although it leaves me a little bit confused. Roseann O'Hara (McTaggart) who marrried William Smith is in 1871 census as having been born in Ireland. Are the census,s often wrong?
This leaves me more puzzled...
I did suspect a possible link on McTaggart side to either Islay or Campbelltown.
Can you tell me how you were able to confirm these details so i can look myself.
brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 December 05 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane,

I think you may be looking at the wrong 1871 census entry.

I have found the following:-

47 Muirhead Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow

William Smith Lodger age 36 Harbour Labourer born Glasgow
Roseann Smith Lodger age 40 born Islay
Malcolm McTaggart Lodger age 20 Harbour Labourer born Islay

I am away over the weekend but will post the other information that I have found when I get back.

I'm not surprised you are confused, not least because both William and Roseann's ages vary wildly from record to record. To give an example - Roseann Smith/O'Hara died at 7 Oxford Lane in 1884 which is the same address that Duncan McTaggart died at in 1864 and she is described on the death cert.as having been married to both Duncan McTaggart and William Smith. But her age is given as 47 on the death certificate. Given that she was 33 in the 1861 census entry for 7 Oxford Lane, 40 on the 1871 census entry above, AND had a son (Malcolm) born around 1851, the age on the death certificate is obviously  very wrong.

Regards,
isobel Colliar
ps found a marriage for Bernard O'Hara and Mary Taylor in Glasgow in 1817, so suspect that these are the correct parents for Roseann as per the death cert. Her 1865 marriage gives her parents as James O'Hara and Mary Taylor. Same mother's name on both, but a confusion over father's name.

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 December 05 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

Your entry makes sense and makes  me quite excited as i have come across a lady whom met one of my aunt,s on holiday. This lady who is a McTaggart,has traced the McTaggart,s who came from Islay back to the Jacobite rebellion. She was excited when she had heard some of the names in my tree and did advise me that most came from Islay  to Glasgow and Shotts in the 1840,s due to the Great Hunger which occurred in Islay at this time.
I look forward to seeing the rest of the info you have. Have a great weekend and thanks for your help.
brandane

P.S. I had got marriage details for bernard o'hara and wondered if the james o'hara was bernards brother. As you know often when husbands die the widow marries other relatives, well in my tree they have!!!!

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Here are the details I have found:-

Death 1857 Jan 7th  at 7 Police Lane, Glasgow
Angus McTaggart age 5
Father Duncan McTaggart, Labourer
Mother Rose McTaggart m/s O'Hara
Hooping Cough 3 weeks -no regular medical attendant
Buried Glasgow Necropolis
Informant Rose McTaggart, mother, her mark, present
Witness Archd Hood

Death 1860 17th April at 7 Oxford Lane, Tradeston, Glasgow
John McTaggart age 4 and a half
Father Duncan McTaggart, Coal Labourer
Variola ? about a week as certified by Bruce Rankine? Surgeon who saw deceased on April 16th
Buried Gorbals Burying Ground
Informant Rose McTaggart, mother, her mark, present
Witness Thomas Pollock, Assistant Registrar

Death 1861 11th January at 7 oxford Lane, Glasgow
Robert McTaggart age 16 months
Father Duncan McTaggart, Coal Porter
Pneumonia 18 days as certified by Bruce Rankin, Surgeon
Informant Rosie O'Hara, mother, present ,her mark,

Death 1859 March 13th at 7 oxford Lane, Glasgow
Neil McTaggart age 23 months
Father Duncan McTaggart, Coal Porter
Mother Rose McTaggart m/s/ O'Hara
Dropsy, as certified by ? Liddell, Surgeon, who saw deceased 11th March
Buried Gorbals Burying Ground
Informant Rose McTaggart ,her mark,mother, present

In the 1861 census Duncan, Roseann and Malcolm were listed at 7 Oxford Lane. Duncan was 32, a Coal Dealer, born Argyllshire, Islay; Roseann was 33,Coal Dealer's Wife, also born Islay and Malcolm was 12, born Islay.

Duncan died in 1864 -
1864 August 30th at 7 Oxford Lane
Duncan McTaggart age 40, Coal Porter, married to Rose O'Hara
(Note age discrepancy between 1861 census and death cert.)
Father Duncan McTaggart, Farmer (deceased)
Mother Rachel McTaggart m/s Taylor (deceased)
Erysipelas/Enpipelas? as cert. by W.A Liddell, Surgeon
Informant Rose McTaggart, her mark, widow, present
Witness James Tait, Assistant Registrar

By 1871, Rose was married to William Smith. 1871 census entry for 47 Muirhead Street gives:-
William Smith age 36, Lodger ,Harbour Labourer, born Glasgow
Roseann Smith, Lodger, age 40 born Argyllshire , Islay
Malcolm McTaggart, Lodger, age 20 Harbour Labourer, born Argyllshire, Islay

The only possible marriage for William and Roseann is this one:-

1865 20th February at ? Abbotsford Place, Glasgow
Wm Smith, Iron Turner (journeyman) bachelor age 35 of 9 Oxford Lane
Father Peter Smith, Labourer at Ironworks (deceased)
Mother Mary Smith m/s White (deceased)

Roseann O’Hara,Washer and Presser,spinster age 32 of 9 Oxford Lane
Father James O’Hara, Mason’s Labourer (deceased)
Mother Mary O’Hara m/s Taylor (deceased)
Witnesses  ? Grainger and P. Grainger

Not sure why Roseann should use her maiden name or call herself a spinster, but I’m sure it is her.

Malcolm McTaggart married Jane Mckean in 1872 –

1872 12th July at 10 Clayton Terrace, Dennistoun, Glasgow
Malcolm McTaggart, Fire-Hammerman,,bachelor, age 21, of 23 Kirk Street, Calton, Glasgow
Father Duncan McTaggart , Farm Labourer, (deceased)
Mother Rose McTaggart m/s O’Hara (no mention of Rose’s 2nd marriage)

Jane Mckean ,Cotton Weaver, Steam-Loom, spinster, age 19 of 23 Kirk Street, Calton, Glasgow
Father William McKean, Baker Journeyman
Mother Omey? Mckean m/s Horne
Witnesses Thomas Moir and Jessie McDonald

Isobel
(will have to continue in new post due to length restrictions)

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane (part 2)

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Roseann Smith/McTaggart died in 1884

1884 January 12th at 7 Oxford Lane, Gorbals, Glasgow
Rose Ann Smith married to 1st Duncan McTaggart, Farm Servant, 2nd William Smith, Gas Burner Maker, aged 47
Father Bernard o’Hara Fisher ? (Master) deceased
Mother Mary O’Hara m/s Taylor (deceased)
Carcinoma Siteri? As certified by Archd Templeton M.D
Informant William Smith, Widower, present

In 1891 Malcolm and Jane were at 8 Bishops Street, Barony, Glasgow
Malcolm age 36 head  Boiler Maker born Argyllshire Islay
Jane age 35 born Lanarkshire Glasgow
Oma age 16 pottery Maker Lanrkshire, Glasgow
Roseanne 14 Scholar Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Duncan 12 Scholar Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Malcolm 10 Scholar Lanarkshire, Glasgow
John 8 Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Jeannie 6 Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Robert 3 Lanarkshire Glasgow

According to your info. Duncan McTaggart above was born at 53 Richard Street in 1879. He married Agnes Freeman in 1898. They had a son called Matthew around 1924 whom you believe was a brother of  your grandfather Hugh Kerr McTaggart born around 1912. Does this mean that you think Malcolm and Jane (Mckean) are your g/grandparents. The reason I am confused is that your very first posting gave Hugh Kerr McTaggart’s father as Alexander McTaggart. What parents’ names were given on Hugh’s death certificate in 1962?

I also found a death certificate for Roseanne McTaggart above-

1922 21st February at 35 Nicholas Street, Glasgow
Roseann McAllister age 44 married to 1st John McDade, Cotton Worker, 2nd George McAllister, Riveter
Father Malcolm McTaggart, Boilermaker (deceased)
Mother Jane McTaggart m/s McKean (deceased)
Carcinoma of Uterus
Witness George McAllister, Widower, Present

I hope to get a visit to New Register House on the 16th. If you want I can try and check out some of the later records re. this family for you (ie the ones you can’t view on SP)

Regards,
Isobel

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 December 05 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel,
Thank you very much you have helped me so much. My first posting was actually wrong. Alexander McTaggart was also my grandfather,s brother. But all the family you listed are my relatives. Hugh Kerr McTaggart was my grandfather and his parents were Agnes Freeman and Duncan McTaggart, which has been validated via his marriage cert which his daughter (my aunt) has.
So the earlier Malcolm McTaggart  who married jane mckean is my great great grandfather and grandmother. His parents were my great great great grandparents.
I wonder if you could possibly find out my great great great grandfather,s date of birth and name of parents as i am stuck. Duncan McTaggart who was married to Rose O.Hara parents on his death cert were  Duncan McTaggart and Rachel McTaggart nee Taylor. I don,t know if he had any brothers.
Once again i cant thank you enough my dad is over the moon as he knew nothing about his father,s family.
with kind regards
brandane