Author Topic: O'HARA/TAYLOR/SMITH/MCTAGGART family - Glasgow  (Read 14678 times)

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'HARA/TAYLOR/SMITH/MCTAGGART family - Glasgow
« on: Thursday 24 November 05 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find information on the following:

1. Rose Ann O'Hara (b.1837)  who was first married to Duncan McTaggart, after his death in 1864 Rose Ann married William Smith.  On the1871 census for 4 South Street, Partick, Glasgow, it states that Rose Ann (age 34) was born in Ireland, her husband William was born in ireland also. William also has a son William aged 13/14 on census however not Rose,s son.
What i would like to know is where did Rose,s children from her marriage to Duncan McTaggart go? They are Robert McTaggart b. 13/09/1859, Neil McTaggart b. 20/04/1857 and John McTaggart b. 12/07/1855. Were there any more children from marriage to Duncan McTaggart, were there children from marriage to William Smith?
Also unable to locate marriage certs and dates for marriage to Duncan McTaggart and William Smith.

2.Rose Ann O'Hara,s parents were Bernard O'Hara and Mary Taylor married 11th May 1817 at Barony Lanark. What children did Bernard and Mary  have and when and where in Ireland was Rose Ann born?

3. Regarding Duncan McTaggart- he died 30th August 1864 aged 40 so would be born around 1823/1824, unable to locate exact date of birth and place of birth. On death certificate states parents are Duncan McTaggart (deceased, occupation farmer) and Rachael McTaggart maiden name Taylor.
Any help would be appreciated ;D
brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: O'HARA/TAYLOR/SMITH/MCTAGGART/ FAMILY GLASGOW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I can't see the family in 1861 census index for Glasgow. Nor can I find any of the boys in 1881 census.
     Son John McTaggart's birth cert. of 1855 will give you his parents date/place of marriage and also their place of birth.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz for trying, i had also checked these out. i,m sure scotlands people is making a fortune out of the checks i,ve made...lol :D
I am kinda wondering if the family may have went to ireland at this time.
brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 05 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Liz,
Followed all your advice. However on all the birth certificates for Robert, Neil and John McTaggart there is no date, time and place of marriage for  their parents Duncan  McTaggart and Rosie  O'Hara which i thought was very unusual.
I wonder if you may be able to explain something else. On John McTaggart,s birth certificate it states he was born 12th July 1855 but this registration does not appear until the 1860 birth register. This has kinda thrown me, i thought a child,s birth had to be registered within a specified time period.
brandane

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 05 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane,
                  WOW, this is a new one on me. From 1855, registration became compulsory, regardless of religion.  Birth certs. from 1856-1860 did not have details of parent's marriage. Places and dates of marriage were re-introduced in 1861.  1855 was the 'Golden' year for births and marriages, as they had so much more  information on them.
                   Where did Duncan McTaggart die in 1864, was it Glasgow?
                  I'll have another look at 1861 index for Glasgow.

Liz

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 05 07:58 GMT (UK) »
There's only one Duncan McTaggart who died in 1864.  He died Tradeston, Glasgow City.  There is a Duncan and Roseann in Tradeston in 1861 census index, but they don't fit what you have.  I see from IGI that Robert was born 1859, Tradeston. Roseann married William Smith in Tradeston in 1865, so I can't understand why they are not there. I'll give you the details of the McTaggarts in Tradeston, but going on what you say, it does'nt look like they are yours.

Census taken Tradeston  644/9  enum dist 5 page 8

Duncan McTaggert age 32 born Islay, ARL
Roseann age 33 born Islay
Malcolm age 12 born Islay

Liz

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Thanks for trying for me, much appreciated. I wouldn,t be surprised if that was  my roseann who married william smith in 1865, can you let me know the details. i am beginning to think that roseann,s children from her first marriage may have went to be brought up by family members. the reason i think roseann came from ireland is that on the 1871 census, roseann and william are found in south street, partick and census states both are born in ireland. now what i find interesting is that roseann,s first husband died in 7 oxford lane, glasgow in 1864. in 1871 census roseann is at south street, but then on her death cert she is listed as having died at 7 oxford lane, glasgow. this makes me wonder if family members retained this tenancy.
the names malcolm mctaggart is in my tree also, malcolm was married to jane mckean and lived at 88 richard street in 1881 census(glasgow) my gggrandfather.
brandane

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Checked out the marriage cert for William Smith and Rosann O'Hara  who were married on 10th February 1865. It is not the same Rosann or William but it is still interesting me. Particuarly as it states the parents of Rosann were James O'Hara and Mary Taylor residing at 9 Oxford Lane Glasgow. Now i dont know if related as my Rosann O'Hara,s parents were Mary Taylor and Bernard O'Hara and Rosann lived at 7 Oxford Lane, Glasgow. Possibly may be cousins.  The mystery continues.... ;D
Brandane

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 05 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brandane,
                       Where did you get the info. that her parent's names were Bernard O'Hara and Mary Taylor? If it's from her death cert. it may not be too reliable, informants often get it wrong.  Too many things add up, second husband's name, address, living in Tradeston, the only thing that differs is her father's name.
                       I'm curious as too where Malcolm fits in this, you say he is your gggrandfather. so where does Robert, John and Neil fit in?

Liz