Author Topic: help mystery joseph how do I trace him  (Read 24672 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help mystery joseph how do I trace him
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 20:10 GMT (UK) »
No we're not sure- they may have married in Bath. Although if they did William must have gone a brick laying far from home for them to meet. I've been having a look for them in 1881 but no definites so far.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline jaxishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 20:19 GMT (UK) »
William must have gone a brick laying far from home for them to meet
Thats what I thought  I have even wondered how Mary ended up in Worcester if the 1902 census of her being born in Bath matches with her birth place on ofter censuses

I have a quick look today to see if I could find their marriage in the All Saints parish Records but have found nothing for 1891

No 9 Court 4 Doldy All Saints  Worcestershire   

Is in the All saints parish and round the corner from Angel row.   Doldy  is no longer there today its deansway now

Jacqui

Smith Worcestershire
Pardoe  Hartlebury Belbroughton Worcestershire
Hughes Bromsgrove Droitwich
Harris, Milton, Franklin, Grafton Gloucestershire,  
Harris, EmleyCastle
Townsend Bath Somerset
Bird worcestershire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
People do not always marry before the first child. Some take somewhile to get around to it, if they do at all.  It is possible however William was a widower on his marriage in 1891. You won't know until you either find the marriage in the parish register or purchase the certificate.

You know from the birth certificate Joseph's mother was Mary Townsend and you know from the 1891 census she was Mary Ann Townsend.
The marriage details from the 1891 marriage will hopefully confirm it is the right William (e.g. from his occupation) and give you the names of Mary Ann and William's fathers' and their occupations. Trying to track back a Smith it is very important you have as much information as possible. With Mary Ann since her birthplace is actually unknown - All Saints Worcester, Bath, or somewhere else, you really do need her father's name as well, as either the 1891 or 1901 census is wrong about her birthplace (and of course it could even be both). If either/both censuses are slightly out on age for William or Mary Ann it makes it even more likely that you are in the realms of speculation and accumulating more and more possibilities in earlier censuses, but nothing that anyone can actually be sure of. Searches in earlier censuses would be far more fruitful with the information from that marriage.

The 1881 census has two William Smiths - bricklayers (but not bricklayer's labourers) living in Worcester (and your William Smith could just as easily have an occupation given as a labourer). One gives a birth date of circa 1864 - track him back to 1871 and his birth year is circa 1857?? Which emphasises the need for father's name to try and pin it down.

I have seen Martha/Mary Ann being confused before on censuses. Without another census entry for her it is impossible to know which is right.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk