Author Topic: Matthias in 1841  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Clio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthias in 1841
« on: Wednesday 07 January 04 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to find this family in the 1841 census returns for Broughton/Brymbo, Denbigh. I f you have access to the census, would you do a look up for me please? This is how they appear in the 1881 :-)

Dwelling: Mathais House Green

Elizabeth Mathais W age 66 LLandegla, Denbigh
David Mathais W age 26 Brymbo, Denbigh

name could be spelt Matthias or Mathias

Thank you   Jean

researching Simmons & Griffin in Hastings, Matthias in Denbighshire, Shepherd in London, Jones & Griffiths in North Wales, Thornton & Lamb in Buckley, Williams in Cumberland B.C. Canada and Bursledon Brickworks

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Matthias in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Do you have any idea what David's occupation was?

Maybe that could help track him down.

Sarah :)
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline juneg27

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Matthias in 1841
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 04 15:56 BST (UK) »
I know this is quite a long time from when you posted your query but I have only just gone on the site.
I tried a while back to order the 1841 census for Denbigh, and when it was ready they phoned me to see if I still wanted the c.d. I asked if Brymbo was on it and they said no, apparently there are a few places that have'nt been put on the 1841 census.
I too have Matthias family in Brymbo, most of my grandfathers were miners and their name was John but have still to find brothers to these John's.
would be interested to know what years you are searching for the Matthias family in Brymbo.
regards, JUNE.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 04 16:15 BST (UK) »
NOTE:  The originals of the 1841 census returns in the Public Record Office are missing for several parishes in the county of Denbighshire.  This includes a large part of Wrexham registration district and some parishes in Ruthin registration district.
The returns for former Denbighshire parishes surrounding Wrexham are not available. These include several townships in Wrexham parish and the parishes of Erbistock, Gresford, Holt, Marchwiel and Ruabon. Returns for  townships within these parishes are also not available. The original returns for Wrexham town are not available in the Public Record Office but the Denbighshire Record Office holds a manuscript volume covering some of the streets in Wrexham (part of the townships of Wrexham Abbot and Wrexham Regis). This is made available as a microfilm copy.
In Ruthin registration district, 1841 census returns are not available for the parishes of Clocaenog, Derwen, Llanarmon-yn-Ial and Nantglyn. The returns for the parishes of Llanelidan and Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd are incomplete.

I thought of Interest ;)

Offline juneg27

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 04 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this, I dont know any of the welsh places you listed or how close they would be to Brymbo. that is the only place I know that my family came from, dont even know what  streets they lived in there. have found two in the early 1800's but then they bothe eventually moved into staffordshire, looking for any brothers or sisters to them now in Brymbo and of course any connections to the family in the 1700's.
regards, JUNE.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 August 04 23:17 BST (UK) »
I have them in 1871,they are then spelt Matthias,but there is only one other family member,a Samuel Matthias,aged 22.Send me an Email if you want the image.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonzo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean.

I have only registered with Rootchats to day, do you have any
information on a Emma Matthais born c1791 Broughton/Brymbo
Denbeigh who married a Peter Read Stone Mason who died in Ruabon in 1857 they are my  3xgreat grandparents,would be greatful for any info.

Bonzo

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if I could be of any help to anyone, but I also have Matthias' in Brymbo/ Broughton areas and I live around 10 min walk from Brymbo and from Pentre Broughton. At the moment I don't have a connection to those you've all mentioned but I can look for you when I have a look into my family.

Regards

Corinne
North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonzo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for the reply, i believe the father of Emma Matthais
was a Matthais Matthais , Emma married Peter Read a Stone
Mason in 1814 and lived in Broughton /Brymbo /Ruabon till he died in 1857 will be glad of any informationas you carry out your
research.

Bonzo